Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Is it correct?    

Is it correct?

chenchen_castrourdiales
Spain

Is it correct?

Hi everyone,

One of my first certificate students handed a composition in to me yesterday and this morning when correcting it I doubted whether this sentence is right or not. It sounds weird to me and I have looked up many dictionaries fruitless. This is the sentence: "He continued walking very slowly, step by step, worried about ..." The point is that I �ve always use the expression "step by step" when following instructions but never with verbs of movement. Should I correct it by the expression "little by little"? Or is it right? Thanks for your answers.

17 Jun 2010      

libertybelle
United States

You can also use the expression
"he gets closer to his goal, step by step.
But perhaps it might sound better if he wrote,
He continued walking very slowly, one step at a time, worried about....

Perhaps someone here has a better answer.

L

17 Jun 2010     

Errie
Japan

There �s nothing wrong with this sentence. The verb walking is related to the words step by step so I think I would say it�s ok to write it down like this.

17 Jun 2010     

douglas
United States

"step by step is okay", I would not correct it.

17 Jun 2010     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I agree that there is nothing wrong with the sentence. "little by little" would sound weaker to me.

17 Jun 2010     

Zora
Canada

I �d also say "step by step" is okay.

17 Jun 2010     

fifey
United Kingdom

The sentence is brilliant, don �t change it, or the student will get the wrong information.

17 Jun 2010     

fifey
United Kingdom

We could say for example: �He continued to explain to his friend step by step, helping him to understand the instructions �. But if you said he was walking step by step along the way to his friend �s house, this is also correct.

17 Jun 2010