Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Private class cancellations- pt2 - And if YOU cancel?    

Private class cancellations- pt2 - And if YOU cancel?

colibrita
United Kingdom

Private class cancellations- pt2 - And if YOU cancel?

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to say thanks to all those who replied to my post yesterday.

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=20325

The comments were very interesting and useful. I really appreciate you taking the time to express your views on the subject. Well, long story very short- I �m going to start charging for cancellation again. I really do think you get more respect when you do it. Otherwise people really take the mickey. My view is that people look at our fee for an hour and think wow, that �s wonderful but they don �t realise that your fee represents more than an hour �s work or financial investment (books, material, etc). Non-teachers don �t often realise that they often (not always, I insist) make considerably more money if they were to tot up how much they actually get paid per hour. Grrrr!

I now have a follow-up question to those who charge for one-to-ones:

What happens when YOU have to cancel? I feel that when I charge them for cancelling then it has to work both ways, that is, I should offer recompense if I have to cancel. It seems only fair to me.

What do you think?

Looking forward to hearing your comments

Hugs

La Colibrita

19 Jun 2010      

perma
Greece

Hi!
If I can �t make it on the fixed day, I suggest having the lesson on one of the following days. If that �s not possible, obviously i won �t charge for the cancelled lesson.
You cannot expect to get paid for something that you have not delivered!
Wink

19 Jun 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Hi, Colibrita! :))

I do it exactly the same way as perma.

Hugs - Silke

19 Jun 2010     

s.lefevre
Brazil

Hi,

Of course, if you can �t give the class, you can �t get paid for it. I do as the student wants it. I give him an other lesson if his/her schedule allows it or he doesn �t pay. But I think that cancellation should be really the last choice. You as a teacher should do anything to be available at the class.

19 Jun 2010     

Zora
Canada

Well, as I charge per month, I will make up that hour whenever it �s convenient for both of us. And since I do charge per month, and not per hour, sometimes people get way more classes if there are 5 instead 4 Mondays in a month for example.

But yes, not charging for the class or making it up is the fairest option if you need to cancel a class.

19 Jun 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Same here, either you make up for it some other day or not charge it at the end of the month. I got sick two weeks ago and my students are having mid-term tests so it was impossible for them to come and have the class we missed. I �ll discount that class when they pay their next fee. Good luck, colibrita !

19 Jun 2010     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

I missed the previous post re cancellations so, for what it �s worth, I provide a cancellation policy for clients before the contract starts. This details the charges that apply if a client cancels a lesson.  Charges range from 100% of the lesson fee for less than 2 days � notice to 0% for 3 weeks � notice.  As my clients are all corporate with invoices settled monthly by the employers, there �s no problem about payment.  I state in the policy that if I have to cancel a class, I will offer to give a free additional class at a mutually convenient time.  I don �t, however,  feel obliged to fit in a client if I don �t have a spare slot.  If I had private individuals though, I would probably bend over backwards to accommodate them, especially if the cancellation was because of children �s illness.  As for teenage clients, I �d be much more circumspect.  I don �t like being taken for a ride!

19 Jun 2010