Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > End of year project    

End of year project

Amandina
Switzerland

End of year project

Dear Teachers,

I �m racking my brain about what to do with my classes. (17-year-olds with 5 years of English). I �m through with this year �s programme and have 4 lessons left. They �d like to watch movies... but hell noooo, I want them to do something useful. Do you happen do have any ideas for an end-of-term project?

Hugs
Amandina

19 Jun 2010      

anitarobi
Croatia

you could perhaps pair them up and have them do projects on posters or in ppt form (if you have that possibility) about different countries or cities and how they �re portrayed in some films... 

http://www.travelbtm.com/apps/videos/channels/show/447948-our-world-in-movies-

or have them write about some famous people from the history of English speaking countries (for which they could also use wikipedia data, magazines and movie biographies (Michael Jackson, Milk, Tina Turner...) - afterwards you could put the posters somewhere as an exhibiton or post it on youtube...

19 Jun 2010     

Jorgelinaac
Argentina

Hi Amandina, it made me laugh to read your post because my students are about the same age of your students and they also want to watch a film. And my reaction is the same to yours, I feel that we waste time. However, inside me, I know to watch a film is not a waste of time because films can be used as a tool to learn. 

My main problem is that I cannot find a suitable film for them to watch. I do not want much violence or controversial scenes because I do not know what they are allowed to watch at home and what they are not.

But after you pick up a film, you can create a worksheet about the film in which they can practise the vocabulary and structures they are learning in the course book and in this way they will be doing the same they do in the book but in a different and more movitivating way :)

It is not easy but I think it is worth trying :)

Best regards,

Jor

PS: series may be also a good option, such as Friends, because they are not so long, each episode lasts about 30 minutes! :)

19 Jun 2010     

perma
Greece

I always let them watch a film at the end of the year, it �s something like a treat for them, for being such good students all year round (well....)

It �s not such a waste of time as you think. First of all they watch the film with English subtitles (or no subtitles depending on class level). Then I always have worksheets for them with questions about  the story and/or selected vocabulary items that appeared in the dialogues. That �s quite some work for me of course, sometimes I have to watch the film 2 times at home, especially if I want to focus on vocabulary.

The students have a good time, I have a relaxed lesson. 3 lessons actually, as we have 50min lessons here and it takes 3 of them to watch the film and answer the questions.

As for possible films, I try to choose older films, as they don �t have so much violence or obsceneties! This year I showed them a film from the old Pink Panther series: "A shot in the dark". Great fun Smile

19 Jun 2010     

ants
Switzerland

I don �t know if your students know the series Glee but some of my teens who are nearly 16 love the songs and the characters in this series.
I think watching a series or a part of a film, especially for teens, is a good way of learning  and helps sometimes to get them talking.
The very best of luck!!Hug
Fiona

19 Jun 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

You know what �s very fun and useful - letting them �synchronise � movies! You can do several things - you can play a scene with English subtitles but without sound and have them read the roles, you can play a mother-tongue movie and have them �synchronise � it into English, you can have them synchronise a cartoon or a Mr.Bean episode (I actually played with them �What �s Mr Bean thinking? � because he doesn �t say much), you can even play a scene in English wihtout subtitles and have them write a transcript... It �s also fun to play them a movie scene from a historical movie and then have them write a sketch based on that scene, but set in contemporary situation and then film it with a cell phone or any type of camera... Comedy series are also great for  �film-work � - Jeeves and Wooster, e. g., The Nanny, The Prince of Bel Air... I love using movies to teach - you can smuggle so much grammar, writing, vocabulary, speaking skills into that... My sts love writing short plays based on sitcoms and then performing them.

19 Jun 2010     

Lancillotta:
Italy

Hi, you may like this :

it is about Dead Poets Society, scene by scene: the chapters  that refer to the  first scenes are quite simple and they become more and more difficult. It is free .
It is not  very easy and I think it is useful. There are keys for all chapters.

I hope this helps
Sabrina

19 Jun 2010     

Amandina
Switzerland

Thank you all for your great ideas!! You really helped!!
Hugs
Amandina

19 Jun 2010     

swissprof
Switzerland

Hi Amadina !

I downloaded a quiz about England and London and the best ones got a price and it worked quite well then at the end of the lesson they listened to the English anthem which is in connection with football and it worked, too. After the traditional English hymn you can pass another version of the sex pistols !

Good luck

Swissprof

But for the very last lesson we �ll watch Madagascar !

19 Jun 2010     

yolprica
Spain

I would recommend you the film "Mamma Mia", it �s great for teenagers and you �ll probably find activities related to this film.
On the other hand, I also did what Swissprof did and also worked quite well.
Yolanda

19 Jun 2010