Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > wage and salary // run into and run across    

wage and salary // run into and run across

chenchen_castrourdiales
Spain

wage and salary // run into and run across

hi everybody,

I have been preparing my Monday �s lesson and one exercise is about filling the gaps with the words salary and wage but even after looking up in an English dictionary I can distinguish the context in which they are used. Could you please help me?

On the other hand, can we run across people and run into things? Or do we just run into or bump into people when finding people by chance and run across is just used when we are talking about finding things by chance? Thanks in advance.

19 Jun 2010      

sulekra
Australia

I run into things all the time. But this is literally, not as a phrasal verb, as in the wardrobe I ran into;)

Just as you can run across a country, you could run across people if a hundred or so laid down side-by-side and you went jogging hehe...

But as you said, with the phrasal verbs - run across=things/ideas, run into = people

19 Jun 2010     

sulekra
Australia

As for salary vs. wage, I understand salary as monthly/yearly earnings, and wage as hourly/weekly earnings...

19 Jun 2010     

kodora
Greece

Try this link:http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/
You can find very clear explanations
Have a nice evening
Dora

19 Jun 2010     

fifey
United Kingdom

If someone is salaried it means they get an agreed amount annually. This is usually divided by 12 and this would be the sum of money received each month. Plus any additional things that would be included in your contract such as holidays.
A wage can be hourly paid, so for example it would depend on what you earned that month, and not be the same amount each month. Hope this helps.

20 Jun 2010