Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > MACBETH    

MACBETH

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I do agree that Shakespeare is too complicated for young learners. This year I had Shakespeare in the curriculum with the 6th grade(11-year-olds). I did a simple introduction to Shakespeare. I mentioned who he was. As he was a great poet we played poets as a warm up (I gave the ss a list of words to find the rhyming ones -they had to compete who could do it faster), then I gave them a funny poem (not by Shakespeare) with gaps to fill in (they could easily guess the rhyming words). Then I said the English language in Shakespeare �s time was different. Offered them to guess the meaning of some Old English words, then told them what they really meant. I told them Shakespeare wrote sonnets (mentioned the number of lines) I read "Some glory in their birth..." you could give them the text of the sonnet to try to highlight the old English words while you read the sonnet to them. I also found a fine translation into their mother tongue to show my ss the beauty of Shakespeare �s poetry. Then we did the ordering of the text with basics facts of Shakespeare �s biography which obviously can be followed up by a number of exercises. Sorry if I sound too imposing. I just really wanted to share 
Hope it can be of use
Sophia 

23 Jun 2010     

lshorton99
China

We studied �A Midsummer Night �s Dream � at 11/12 at school, �Romeo and Juliet � at 13/14 and �Macbeth � at 15/16. While I agree that some of the theme �s are too adult, it can still be enjoyed at a young age. Obviously, when studying in England, it is as much appreciation of his crafting of language as it is the story but I still don �t think 11 is too young to start being introduced to the greatest playwright in English history! �A Midsummer Night �s Dream �, on the surface, is a simple comic tale and students can act out the parts of the Mechanicals quite easily! I don �t think it �s necessary to explore the dark side initially!

A great way of looking at �Macbeth � with students is to compare it to Terry Pratchett �s �Wyrd Sisters � which is a parody of the story and very cleverly written. It �s also a humorous version which students enjoy! With the level of your students you could perhaps look at the synopsis of both stories as well as extracts!

Good luck!

Lindsey

23 Jun 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Hi all

There are some great books around that introduce children to such great works.  For example, take a look here at this book MacBeth : For Kids (Shakespeare Can Be Fun series).

There�s even a teacher�s guide available for the series here.  It provides a whole month of lessons for you and it is EXCELLENT.

There�s also an interesting article, Teaching Children Macbethhere which includes a link to a lesson plan.

There are some superdooper links available at http://www.squidoo.com/shakespeareforchildren

I think, adpated and taught age-appropriately, it is an excellent opportunity to introduce the children of our future to the great masters of yesterday.

Cheers

Jayho

23 Jun 2010     

S.Reisner
Brazil

Try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC9G_CZVAL8 
It was made by BBC and most of Shakespeares works are presented in cartoons.

23 Jun 2010     

xanadu1
Palestine

Hi.
You can download play from the youtube site. They are really great.

23 Jun 2010     

< Previous   1    2