Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Games for Children and Parents    

Games for Children and Parents

dennismychina
China

Games for Children and Parents

Hi All, Some help please?

I have a kindergarten parents evening coming up and to end off we are required to play a game involving both parents and children. Does anyone have anything tried and tested, or not, to suggest?

Your help will be very much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Dennis.

27 Jun 2010      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Hello Dennis!
I �ve never done anything like that as a teacher, but definitely done something like that as a parent. When my youngest son was in the kindergarten they had a party for mother �s day. The boys would invite their moms for a dance and a balloon was placed between a kid and a mom, we were not allowed to touch the balloon with our hands, it had to be where we placed it initially (between the foreheads or bellies) and we had to dance in the way that it stayed where it was and wouldn �t fly away or blow up, if it did you had to sit down (failed). It can be a lot of fun if you play it to the music with the fast beat. 
I hope you understand my explanation.
Sophia

27 Jun 2010     

manonski (f)
Canada

"Who Took the Cookie from the Cookie Jar"
Pictionary
Memory games

27 Jun 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

I did this. I actually do that at the end of every final show we put on for parents. First the kids perform a few songs,rhymes, perhaps a short play, we play several word card games to show the parents how we learn through playing, and at the end we teach them a song (Hokey-pokey is really great for this) - we all stand together in a circle, first the kids tell them the names of body parts and ask the parents to point and repeat and then we teach them the coreography and sing and dance with them. Sometimes I split the parents into two teams and have them play one of the games we showed them with kids (flashing cards, correct the teacher, yes/no, etc.) and the kids root and aren �t allowed to whisper answers to their parents - kids love sitting in the audience and watching parents. You can also have kids sing a song or recite sth and then the parents have to put the jumbled flashcards or illustrations from the song/rhyme in the correct order (or even cut-outs of lyrics if your kids read capital letters). I also loved playing duels with kids and parents. Each kid faced his mom or dad, and said an animal only by moving their lips, not producing sound. The mom/dad had to read their lips. It was great because it inspires confidence and trust - you put the kid into the role of the parent �s teacher. Best of luck...

27 Jun 2010