Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > phrase meaning    

phrase meaning

mad_rdg
Germany

phrase meaning

"It �s not bragging, if you can back it up!" and "We know I ain �t never hit the canvas!we know that!- mayweather-box fighter. what �s the  meaning of this 2 phrases?!? thank you! 

30 Jun 2010      

yanogator
United States

I �ll explain the first one with an example:
If I say that I �m the best teacher in the US, then I �m bragging (boasting, tooting my own horn, saying good things about myself). However, if I have won countless awards for my teaching, and have stacks of testimonials from my students, then I am just stating the truth, because I can support it (back it up) with facts. So, it �s not bragging if you can back it up.

The canvas is the fabric that forms the floor of a boxing ring. To hit the canvas means to be knocked down (or even knocked out) during a fight (so your body actually hits the canvas floor). This boxer is saying that he has never been knocked down during a fight.

I hope this is clear enough,
Bruce

30 Jun 2010     

mad_rdg
Germany

WOW! Thank you very much! Good luck!
Here is the video if you want to take a look...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqTSk8kQ9SI

30 Jun 2010