Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > The Funny Things That Students Say    

The Funny Things That Students Say

sarahjane68
Germany

The Funny Things That Students Say

Good morning everyone!

I find my lessons entertaining but even more so when listening to the things my students say. They try so hard to say the right things in English but often come out with completely wrong words or phrases and sometimes they inadvertently create new words. One such example was a few days ago when I was discussing bicycles with my student. She was trying to explain the seat (saddle). After coming up with chair and stool, she paused for a minute and then said, "I know!" and then went on to say, "it �s the part of the bike that goes into my forest". Have you had any such funny experiences with your students? 

Sarah Jane

1 Jul 2010      

arantxa75
Spain

I �m a teacher of very young learners, 3-6 years old. They just are getting in touch for the first time with English. So one of the first things they learn is : Can Igo to the toilet, please? snd My name is ....

In spanish to have a pee is "pis", so my students confuse please with pis. And like they are not shure of their pronunciation, they point to his penis or her vulva and say:

- Toilet, "pis"? or

- My name is "pis", please.

Moreover when they �re 5, they learn how to separate syllables. In spanish to do this we say: "Pica mesa" " Clap table". So, when I tell them ,
-have you finish this activity? So, pick up your sandwich!!!
-They clap "sand-wich",
- and I say, no, no: Pick up your sandwich
- they clap " pick-up-your-sand-wich"

It �s very funny, isn �t it?

1 Jul 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

I love those little kids, especially how imaginative they can be when they need a wordin English, but don �t know it yet, so they use their mother tongue vocab and just adjust the pronunciation to sound English. My teenagers love misreading the word �sheet �....

1 Jul 2010     

tancredo
Portugal

One of mine, when describing a picture said: My mother is kitchening.
 Hillarious!
Let�s have  a nice day, all of us!

1 Jul 2010     

joy2bill
Australia

My personal favourite is �foot fingers" for toes.
I know this is quite logical for Portuguese speakers but as a native speaker I love it.
Cheers Joy

1 Jul 2010     

viccxx
Greece

my favourite is from one of my boys who once said "everyday i go to the beach and I play with my balls". He of course meant that he had both a basketball and a volleyball with him and he couldnt understand (and of course I couldn �t explain to him) why his teacher laughed so hard! I remember I told him he would understand one day when he was older and when I met him the other day, now a towering 18-year-old, we had a great laugh about it

1 Jul 2010     

gr8educator
Israel

Thanks for the good laugh -  My 10th grade students had to write an article about a place they would like to visit.  My Student wrote about Australia.  This was a sentence in his essay.  Australia has many lovely bitches.  I asked him to explain and he then realized that what he wanted to write was "beaches" � We all had a good laugh.

1 Jul 2010     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

That �s really funnyBig smileLOL
Thanks to everyone!

1 Jul 2010     

stexstme
France

...I wanted my kids to practise So do I / I don �t ( instead of : Me too!!) Sooooo, I went :
" I love sci-fi! " ( We were dealing with movies...one of my favourite topicsLOL)
& Damien said : " So do me!!! (Do  pronounced like door..)
....Stern Smile

Much nicer : My lovely Special Needs - the little onesWink - keep saying : " Yellow, Miss!!"
I usually answer : � Blue, Sunshine!�
Big smile

1 Jul 2010     

juuty
Netherlands

When writing letters, my students tend to look up the wrong words in the dictionairy.
The most funniest mistakes in the latest letters I had to correct were:

Can I sleep with you? (instead of can I stay over at your place)
And: I hope you have a good statue of me.

Also, my students like to think of a lot of strange words, like earthapple (this is just a literal translation, don �t know if this if funny for you guys)

2 Jul 2010