Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Work as a teacher after graduation from a different faculty     

Work as a teacher after graduation from a different faculty

epit
Turkey

Work as a teacher after graduation from a different faculty

Hi friends as just I wonder I wanted to learn.Last night I watched an open forum  about education  on one of the Turkish channels .One of the partipative said Teachers aren �t  educated in the  Education faculties anymore .Everyone who wants to work as a teacher  can be employed according  to their talents and skills and It is very natural to change jobs .I mean he was saying state hasn �t got any obligation for to grow up teacher and  at the end give  us jobAre there ones who graduated from different faculties and  work as teacher ? What do you think about this .? Thanks for sparing time  from now on

1 Jul 2010      

anitarobi
Croatia

Yes, there are teachers who haven �t studied to be teachers - it �s happening all around the world.
Right now I �m really frustrated with many things happening in my country, esp in the field of education (check the cafe - I �ve complained there), so I cannot give you a cool-headed answer.

All in all, I have met teachers who were aducated to be teachers, let �s call them professional teachers here, who were great teachers, and many who thought the title teacher was enough to earn them the respect of everyone but didn �t really feel like teaching, to use a mild expression and not sound insulting. On the other hand, I have also met (and worked with) teachers who became teachers by chance or because they sooo wanted to, although they lacked the proper education, and many of them proved to be better teachers and colleagues, more caring, hard-working and professional than the �professionals �. The �amateur � teachers actually try harder to improve their imperfections through seminars, visiting other people �s lessons, workshops, reading, etc.
So I don �t trust titles - I trust action.
As for governments providing jobs, that �s science fiction where I live. We have a saying �uzdaj se u se i u svoje kljuse �, which would roughly mean �you can only rely on yourself �. There are no guarantees nowadays...

1 Jul 2010     

franknbea
United Kingdom

Hi Epit,
I agree with everything Anita says.
I have also worked with teachers who did not have a full education and have always found them to be hard working, reliable and more talented than some of the so called professionals. These teachers teach with passion and tend to enjoy what they do, they tend to adore their pupils and are, in the main adored and respected right back.
They don �t look at teaching as a �job � but more like a vocation. This is true of the people I have encountered and should not be viewed as universal. There may well be �amateur � teachers out there who really shouldn �t be teaching, I just haven �t met any.

1 Jul 2010     

libertybelle
United States

doesn �t that make you want to sit down and cry?

Too many mediocre politicians make rules and laws about things they know nothing about.
There are many talented people in the world, but not all of them are trained to give their knowledge  to students.   I feel sorry for the kids of tomorrow - and the countries too, who will be run by people who had a second-rate education.

1 Jul 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

I so sadly and definitely agree, libertybelle. Our Ministry of education is just announcing a new plan how to save money (for themselves) by laying off 6,000 teachers, not paying them for being classmasters and not counting those measly 2 lessons they have a week as classmasters into their regular work hours (so who �d ever want to be a classmaster), and, get this, closing many smaller local schools. Because, let �s face it, it �s better to have more cafes and bookies than schools, right?!? I �m just so disgusted and enfuriated......

1 Jul 2010     

borna
Croatia

Dear Anita,

don �t be so depressed!!! It �s true, everything you said, and I agree with you, but when compared to some other countries we have many more things to be proud of and many more reasons to feel priviled to live here! Let �s concentrate on those things!

Cheer up,

Sasa

1 Jul 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

Would love to, Sasa, but today my optimism switch just isn �t working well...

PS: I have cheered up - check my last post at the cafeWink

1 Jul 2010