Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Just wondered...?    

Just wondered...?

rose95
Turkey

Just wondered...?

In which country is number "4" considered bad luck and isn �t even used as door numbers?

1 Jul 2010      

stexstme
France

Not In France!LOL Number 13 could bring back luck to some here - comes from the Bible.Not interesting post - just to say hello!!HugStill, I �m curious about this!!

Hugs,
Sylvie

1 Jul 2010     

baiba
Latvia

Hi Rose,

I know that it is true about China, Japan and Korea. In Latvia unlucky number is only 13 but we still use it for the lack of an equivalent!Wink

1 Jul 2010     

franknbea
United Kingdom

Hi Rose95,
I believe it is Korea. Maybe one of our Korean colleagues could confirm this?

1 Jul 2010     

ituska
Slovakia

Check what wikipedia says Smile
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbers_in_Chinese_culture#Four

1 Jul 2010     

rose95
Turkey

Thanks a lot for the answers. I enjoy learning new things almost every day here.

1 Jul 2010     

tw_karen
Taiwan

In Chinese, the "sound" of the word "four" has the same sound as the word "death" though the characters are different.
For this reason the number four has so many superstitions surrounding it.
In hospitals and most apartments, they will go 1F, 2F, 3F, 5F, etc. 
At weddings it is traditional to give money an amount of money that is equal to an even number.  For instance, here in Taiwan, they say give about 600nt per person attending.  We are a family of four, so that wold be 2400.  BIG NO-NO...
Red envelopes are given at Chinese New Year and they also follow the same "No number with 4" rule.

My birthday falls on April 4th.  I have always made the joke that I wanted to trick my mom by arriving on April 1st, but I was just too slow.  Here I simply say I was born on Double-Death Day.  My kids love it.

Have a good day!

2 Jul 2010     

micah
Japan

In Japan too!
The sound "shi" (that �s four in Japanese) is also "death" in Japan.
We don �t use "nine" neither because of the sound "ku" means "pain".
So the number 94 sounds "kurushi" which means "suffer" and nobody wants to use that number!

Hope you have a good day!

2 Jul 2010     

GerbrandEeckhout
Korea, South

franknbea is right!  It is in Korea. You won �t even find number 4 in an elevator.  It �s either skipped or marked as something else like a letter of the alphabet. I found this very interesting when I first came to Korea and inquired about it. Yes, it �s a bad luck number!

2 Jul 2010