Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > exercise help    

exercise help

mad_rdg
Germany

exercise help

1. Having a heart attack put the fotballer �s careere ___ jeopardy =?
a) in b) to c) on d) in

2. A twenty minute walk or A twenty minutes walk ?

3. Does "honesty" take the article or not?!? Honesty/The honesty... Could you tell me other nouns like  this one wich take or not article?

4. He ought to be relased on bail. His lawyer will plead for it.
a) His lawyer will plead for him to be relased on bail
b) His realasing on bail will be plead by his lawyer   Why b is wrong?

5. I can �t get this window ____ .                     
a) to open b) open c) opened d) opening

6. The team he owned had ___ paid players in football
a) good b) better c) the better d) well

7. His eye-glasses need ___ now.
a) to clean b) clean c) being cleaned d) cleaning

8) Find a solution FOR something or TO something ?!?

Thank you!I hope you will explain #5 exercise....

2 Jul 2010      

libertybelle
United States

1. Having (had)  a heart attack put the footballer �s career in jeopardy.

2. A twenty minute walk

3. Does "honesty" take the article or not?!?  NOT

4. He ought to be released on bail. His lawyer will plead for it.
a) His lawyer will plead for him to be released on bail
b) His releasing on bail will be plead by his lawyer   Why b is wrong? It just is

5. I can �t get this window to open/ open .                     
a) to open b) open c) opened d) opening

6. The team he owned had___ paid players in football
 better paid- comparative
 well paid - adjective - these two are correct.

7. His eye-glasses need ___ now.
 cleaning  ( to be cleaned)

8) Find a solution  TO something ?!?

2 Jul 2010     

MarianaC
Argentina

I �m not a native speaker but... I �d like to add something for some of the exercises.
2. Remember you need an adjective or adjectival phrase to describe a noun. When a noun is premodified by another noun, we usually use the first noun in the singular form, as the exaples tancredo mentioned. Rarely do we use it in the plural form. I can think of "an arms dealer" as an example, but not many come to mind. I guess confusion may come as well with phrases like "two weeks � notice", but here it means that the notice is of two weeks, therefore the use of apostrophe.
Also, no THE for 3, as it �s an abstract noun. Think of any other abstract nouns as examples. Love, justice, peace, friendship... unless you �re talking about one in particular, as in "the love of my life", in general statements it �s with zero article.
With 4, you need passive voice. As we know, passive is constructed using the past participle of the main verb. Plead => pleaded. So "His releasing on bail will be pleaded by his lawyer". There is also a spelling mistake, I �m not sure if it �s a typo. In any event, it doesn �t sound very nice, it feels a bit unnatural, forced.
In 5 I agree with libertybelle, a or b. I don �t think you can use past here as then it would become a causative verb (get something done), but that �s only used when someone else does something for you (have/get your car repaired - if you �re not a mechanic!, have/get your hair cut, etc).
6 I prefer well, adverb premodifying a verb, but better paid is also possible.
In 7 I agree with libertybelle again, only cleaning is possible.
Cheers!

2 Jul 2010     

dturner
Canada

I believe  you wanted #5 explained.  Open or to open are both correct.  They mean different things. The nuance is different.  .... I can �t get this window open seems to be a statement of fact.  And we don �t know why.
I can �t get this window to open.  implies there is something wrong with the window, or the opener.  Perhaps it is stuck closed.  Perhaps the person is a little old man who has not strength.
The person has tried in vain, but nothing seems to work.  It is closed.

2 Jul 2010     

yanogator
United States

As tancredo showed, it should be "a twenty-minute walk" (with a hyphen). When a multiple-word noun is used as an adjective before a noun, it needs a hyphen.
He has a three-year-old child.

For #6, I don �t think any of the choices are right. I think the only thing that sounds good there is "the best-paid", because "in football" implies "in all of football", and only the superlative works there. What do others think about this?

Bruce

2 Jul 2010     

libertybelle
United States

I agree Bruce - the best-paid players in football.
I read it wrong AND I forgot the hypen in twenty-minute walk!
It was late - I was tired - sorry!

2 Jul 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

(2) You could also say a twenty minutes � walk. (hyphen after minutes; other examples a two weeks� holiday, a five minutes� break)

2 Jul 2010     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

4b: We refer to someone �s release on bail, rather than releasing on bail.  The passive construction is very awkward. In broadcast media, I have only ever heard the statement used in the active voice.
I agree with Bruce and Philip re no 6.
No 7: just glasses, (no eye)

2 Jul 2010     

mad_rdg
Germany

Thank you! That �s why I asked you about these exercises because I was �t sure the key answer was correct...I �ve checked the key answer and here are the anwers for nr.5 and 6:
5.to open(I choose "open")
6.well

2 Jul 2010