Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > How do you say it?    

How do you say it?

CILB
Argentina

How do you say it?

I have a little doubt... it is a bit silly but here it goes: What is the correct form?

1. We are going swimming tomorrow after school.

2. We are going swimming after school tomorrow.

Thanks in advance!

2 Jul 2010      

sulekra
Australia

Pretty sure there is no difference, I would use both:) Though it �s possibly missing a comma - "tomorrow, after school". Not 100% sure though...

2 Jul 2010     

Laly59
Spain

I agree with Sulekra

2 Jul 2010     

yanogator
United States

I agree, too. There �s a tiny difference in emphasis, but it �s so small that I can �t even come up with an explanation.

Bruce

2 Jul 2010     

CILB
Argentina

MANY THANKS  ! ! !

Cecilia.

2 Jul 2010     

jealex
Argentina

you know, if u are teaching that... i recommended u to use the "tomorrow" at the end... cuz according to the theory the adverb of time goes at the beggining or at the end....

but following ur question both of em r right,,,, it �s just a matter of emphasis... take care!!!!

2 Jul 2010     

Brandfkev
Costa Rica

IDK... Both are ok, but the first one is the best. If you pay close attention, both of them might work as adverbs of time because the phrase after school means time... If you say after school tomorrow is right. It sounds weird ,though, since you are not doing it the same day you said it. Thus, the emphasis should be placed on the fact that it is going to be on a day different from today. You give emphasis to what you need to bring up.

3 Jul 2010