Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I need some pieces of advice!    

I need some pieces of advice!

josek
Argentina

I need some pieces of advice!

Hello Everyone! How are you? I need some help. I �m preparing a worksheet but I have problems with the pictures. Does anyone know what computer programme can I use to cut the figure of a picture? That is, the the whole picture has a square shape and I only need the figure within the whole picture. How can I cut it? Thanks in advance

3 Jul 2010      

edrodmedina
United States

Hey Josek..Try opening the picture with Paint. Once it �s opened you can crop it using the select tool (it looks like a dashed rectangle). Select the area you want copy it open Paint again and paste it. Hope this helps. Ed

3 Jul 2010     

baiba
Latvia

Hi josek,
This is a tricky one!

I know Photoshop has this function (irregular crop) but you can also try Paint. There is an option Free-form select. This might work for you.

Good luck!

Edit: It looks like I and Ed were writing at the same time! Big smile

Here is one more tip http://ezinearticles.com/?PowerPoint-Tip---Crop-Around-An-Image&id=684256

3 Jul 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

You can crop pics in Paint, IrfanView, Windows Picture Viewer and even once you �ve inserted it into a word document. You have to use your mouse, mark the picture, click on the crop button and then just move the markers to the desired point. Try it, don �t worry - there �s always undo if you �re not happy with it, just don �t save too soon.
Anita

3 Jul 2010     

lisa.weix
Austria

Hi Josek,
there�s some free software that might help: photofiltre (you can download it free at http://photofiltre.free.fr/frames_en.htm).
If you need to get rid of background, you can make it transparent. Do the following:
Open your picture (or copy and paste: paste as a new picture by pressing Ctrl-Shift-V)
Select "Index"-"Mode"-"Indexed color" - 256 color - OK.
select "Index"-"Transparent color" - the standard color that�s made transparent is white; if you want a different color, paint the background first using a color that doesn�t appear in the rest of the picture. Works great with clipart to get rid of white background. The downside: all white spots are made transparent, so to avoid transparent eyes etc. you could change the color of the white spots first by using the paint-function, this color will be the color that�s gone later.
I hope this is not too confusing ;)!!!
If you need more help, contact me!
All the best,
Elisabeth from Austria.
PS: It�s also very easy to get a rectangular crop of your image: just mark the area you want to cut - right mouseclick-crop. Cheers :)!

4 Jul 2010