Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Make a hypthesis    

Make a hypthesis

tahriali
Tunisia

Make a hypthesis

Hi every body
I �m dealing with a research project about EFL students � errors. I urgently need a hypothesis for each of these facts:

Fact 1

When provided with time to plan their utterances via a writing task, learners produce utterances with greater syntactic complexity and higher lexical density, as measured by the number of words and propositions per utterance (average 21 words per utterance). Yet, errors at the lexical level (word choice) outnumber those at the grammatical level (word form). Grammar consciousness is higher at the writing task. Reciprocal actions of speech encoders would function in favour of accuracy, word form (grammatical encoder) at the expense of fluency (lexical and phonological encoders).   

Fact 2

When utterances come out freely and spontaneously:

�        Errors are primarily at the level of language appropriateness.

�        Grammatical errors are less frequent because utterances are short, prompt and concise (average 10 words per utterance)

�        Learners display more gambits, lexical dysfluency markers, pauses, hesitation and utterances come out in bribes or chunks.

Fact 3

When utterances are planned but not preceded by a writing task, grammatical accuracy is lower.

�                      Less use of cohesive devices

�                      Inconsistency in verb tenses

�                      S-V disagreement

�                      �s� inflection (for plural and simple present singular) is frequently missing

�                      Focus is no more on syntactical complexity

Fact 4

In the speaking process, when conceptualization is neither free nor personally motivated but rather triggered by an external stimulus (teacher�s question or student-student interaction) utterance formulation and verbalization would depend primarily on the learner�s lexical repertoire (which have already been provided, acquired or learnt). Reciprocal actions of encoders would function in favour of fluency, word choice (lexical and phonological encoders) at the expense of accuracy (grammatical encoder).    

Fact 5

The longer and more linguistically or syntactically complex the utterance is, the higher the risk of erring would be:

�       Planned utterances score from 21.21 to 39.9 words per utterance with errors from 12% to 11.67% per utterance.

�       Unplanned utterances score from 8.93 to 6.62 words per utterance with errors from 5% to 6% per utterance.

3 Jul 2010      

pascy
France

Too complicated for me.

3 Jul 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Hi tahriali , "Please" and "thank you" works better sometimes ...   ;-)

4 Jul 2010     

viccxx
Greece

I �m getting a headache...

4 Jul 2010     

lovemykids
Uruguay

Wacko 

4 Jul 2010     

class centre
Belarus

you urgently need and what?

4 Jul 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

tahriali,

You �ve provided us with interesting research results (presumably measurable/testable conclusions rather than �facts �) which I know I �ve seen elsewhere but can �t remember the source. Perhaps you can tell us where you found this information and maybe someone can then provide you with the hypotheses put forward by the original researchers.

Hope this helps,

Alex

4 Jul 2010     

tahriali
Tunisia

don �t u think your way is somehow rude.
just to inform u that these facts depend on my own data collection (audio / video/ written scripts).
I can provide them to those who are really interested and willing to cooperate.
sorry for those who may undergo brain damages. this stuff needs SLA experts.

4 Jul 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Tahriali

Your project sounds interesting.  Are you doing a masters?

I �m assuming from your last comment that these facts are as a result of your own research.  I �m not terribly experienced in SLA research so please correct me if I �m barking up the wrong tree but shouldn �t the hypothesis be formulated early on in the project and before data collection?  Otherwise, how do you know what you are testing for?  Unless, I guess, you have already conducted a trial based on your original hypotheses and you now want to revise these hypotheses before doing the actual data sampling.

Cheers

Jayho

4 Jul 2010     

tahriali
Tunisia

Hi Jayho
I think you �ve got the point. I �m dealing with MA thesis in applied linguistics about the learning process of English in Tunisia. The facts presented above are the outcome of the first class visits. After data analysis and error classification I deduced these facts which represent a motivating corpus to think of my hypothesis. The next step would be another round of data collection, classification and analysis to prove or rule out the hypothesis. 

4 Jul 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Tahriali

Thanks for your PM - I �ve replied to it.

Cheers

Jayho

4 Jul 2010