Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning powerpoints > Size issues: Is smaller better?    

Size issues: Is smaller better?

edrodmedina
United States

Size issues: Is smaller better?

Greetings! Some of my presentations are are short in length but since they have sounds and animations tend to exceed the 2mb size limit set here. Some are just one slide and still exceed the size limit.What can be done to resolve that? Are zip files acceptable here? Even then sometimes zipped files don �t compress much. Any suggstions?? Ed

4 Jul 2010      

viccxx
Greece

I posted the same probem only a few days ago and the only answer I got was to try to cut the sound. But that is not viable if for example the powerpoint contains a listening, right?
I �m downloading a file compression utility that doesnt turn them into zip files or anything like that, just trims the size. By the way, no, you can �t send zip files it has to be .ppt
If the utility works i �ll tell you where i got it OK?

4 Jul 2010     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

i had the same problem when i started making ppts, and if you go through my ppts you can see that now i am able to do ppts with lots of sounds and pic and more than 20 slides.  so let me tell you what i do to achieve that. first i have the program free photo converter (free to download) with this tool you can play with ur pictures until you find a good size without loosing quality, try to keep the pictures under 20kb if you are using lots of pictures.  then for the sounds i have audacity and cdex both free too. sometime i have to cut and edit my sounds specially if they are conversations. another thing is try to find your sounds as mo3 files cuse they are always smaller than wave. of course then you have to use cdex to add a header that will allow ppt to read the file as an embedded file. i have a tutorial in the free section for this program if you want to check and another member put a tutorial for audacity.  so, basically if you really want to make ppts is up to you how hard you want to work to make them. at the beginning for me it was days working on a single ppt but now i can make them in 2, 3 hours. and i really love making them knowing how much my students enjoy them.  i  just hope this helps you.

4 Jul 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

Thanks Viccxx and Liz. I am familiar with Audacity. What is the name of the photo converter? I �ll have to download CDEX. I �m not familiar with mo3s . Did u mean mp3s? Thanx again BTW Ican�t check out your PPTs cause I don�t have any points yet. :(  LOL checked photo converter..That�s the name..Thanx Liz

4 Jul 2010     

viccxx
Greece

What I �m talking about is an entirely different thing alltogether. I managed to locate a trial version of Neuxpower NXPowerLite (it was mentioned in one of the tutorials). It compresses the file (word or other office file, including powerpoint). It seems too much trouble for me to have a seperate program to compress sound, images, videos and so forth. This one supposedly compresses the file without changing its appearance all at once. The problem is, the download proceeds up to a point and then stops and I have to start all over again...

By the way Liz�s ppts are fantastic and a real inspiration, she has some in her blog page you can see without points....if you notice there is a tiny �website� link under her name when ypu click to see her worksheets. I literally deleted one I had made after seeing her work...And I was so proud of it up until then Cry

4 Jul 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

I agree with you Viccxx, Liz �s PPT presentations are very slick. Very professional looking.It is something for the rest of us to strive for. I will try Neuxpower to see what happens w/my presentations. Ed

5 Jul 2010