Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > home or at home? / comma before "too" / "or not"    

home or at home? / comma before "too" / "or not"

blunderbuster
Germany

home or at home? / comma before "too" / "or not"

Hi,

What do you think, when do I need the "at" in "at home" and when is it optional?

--

Do you always use a comma before "too" (meaning = also) or do you sometimes omit it?

Regards

4 Jul 2010      

kodora
Greece

Have a look at the following:
http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/home_1
http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/home_2
http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/comma-with-too.aspx
Hope it helps!
Have a nice Sunday afternoon!
Dora

4 Jul 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Thank you, Dora.

I did try ldoce before I asked here, it didn �t answer my question, though.

The GG link is great, didn �t dawn on me to look there.

Hug

Thank you!!

New question: Is there a slight difference in meaning if I say "alone at home" or "at home alone"?

4 Jul 2010     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

Hi Regina,
as far as I know �at home � is BrE and �home � without �at � is AmE. Kind of simplifying the phrase.

I �m alone at home and I �m at home alone, sounds like no difference in meaning, also as an alternative you can say: �I �m home alone �, while you can �t say �I �m alone home �.

Hope it helps!

4 Jul 2010     

Catalina Sorina
Romania

I think that when you say "alone at home" you underline that he was alone and not with somebody else, at home. If you say "at home alone" this means he/she wasn �t in the park alone, but at home, and he was alone. MHO.

Catalina

4 Jul 2010     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Hello blunderbuster,
You were probably asking the native speakers here... 
The only difference I see between the two (at home, home) is that in one case (at home) it �s a noun in the other (home) it �s an adverb. 
And as to the alone again it depends on whether you use it as an adjective (and in this case it �s predicative -- she �s alone at home) or as an adverb -- she �s home alone.
As to the too you don�t have to put a coma before it when it�s used as also, but when it�s used in the meaning of what is more, or to make the situation worse you do put a coma.
Take care,
Sophia
P. S. Now, that I�ve looked at the links, I finally got it that you already have your questions answered, sorry to take the spaceEmbarrassed

4 Jul 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Thank you, ladies ;o) I appreciate everyone �s help.

@ Everyone: I would like to ask one more question: When is "or not" an acceptable replacement for a question tag?

Regards

4 Jul 2010     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I think you should say "acceptable as a negative alternative" not a replacement for a question tag. It is used as a negative alternative in questions beginning with Are you, Can she, Shall we and the like.
BTW in such cases of doubt Oxford Advanced Learner �s Dictionary comes really handy. The reason I like it the most is because the explanations are very clear and there are lots of examples plus they explain the differences in the use of synonyms.
That �s it.
Sophia

4 Jul 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Now, is this a perfect explanation or not?  ;o)

I was hoping you would say that, Sophia, because that was the only explanantion I could up with myself. I am still learning where to look things up.

Thank you, so much, Sophia!

Regards

4 Jul 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Disjunctive question, huh? Wacko Oh my god, I have leant a whole new grammar term again. ;o) Thank you so much again  Sophia.

Hug

4 Jul 2010     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

BTW it �s so old it �s not even in the Oxford Advanced Learner �s Dictionary, but it �s in the Webster �s thoughWink
So nowadays it�s either tag questions or question tags. :- )
Sophia

4 Jul 2010     

1    2    Next >