Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > ??? :( ???    

??? :( ???

marinaangelaa
Brazil

??? :( ???

Can anyone help me with it?

TASK:  Verb Tense and time

The concept of verb tense and time involves the consideration of form and function. Although there is variation in the way this is taught and learned in English-speaking countries, applied linguists maintain that there are only two verb tenses in English.

1. What are the two tenses?

2. Why is this a useful way to look at verb tense and time?

5 Jul 2010      

kodora
Greece

This might answer your questions somehow:
http://en.allexperts.com/q/English-Second-Language-1815/2008/8/Verb-tense-time.htm
Have a nice week!
Dora

5 Jul 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Marina,

I reckon you �re talking about the �markers � rather than tenses as such. There are basically only two separate tense forms for the verb �play �, for example:
plays (present)
played (past)
The suffix -ing doesn �t really indicate tense, but we can use it along with auxiliaries or specific expressions to further indicate the relationship of time to a given utterance.

As for the second part of your post, it can, for example, be applied to teaching English tenses to a speaker of another language where the tenses are more marked/inflected. Actually, there are many different applications and I �m sure there are plenty of people here who can give you more examples.

Hope this helps,

Alex

5 Jul 2010     

marinaangelaa
Brazil

thanks dudes... Always helpful as usual :)

5 Jul 2010