Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Book for preparing PET    

Book for preparing PET

anitarobi
Croatia

The Cutting Edge series has all the levels, a demanding and rich book and workbook, the teacher �s book is full of materials, cd not bad at all... It �s one of those coursebooks you don �t need to prepare lots of additional activities and I find adults respond well to them.
Although, my sympathies go to you - adults are such a difficult age group to teach, especially �enthusiastic � people.
I had one of those, and all he came to me with was knowing how to say (with a terrible accent) Are you married?, and at the end of the year he left with Are you married? (the same terrible accent), although he �d bought all kinds of workbooks, dictionaries, books, etc. but they simply wouldn �t read and fill themselves... Go figure... However, considering his choice of vocabulary, I guess we all have our priorities... (The man actually passed the exam at the end of the year, though barely, but I could have sworn he �d forgotten everything by the time he reached his car. Before meeting him, I never knew you could cram for a foreign language test...)

6 Jul 2010     

Zora
Canada

@ Baiba.. lol.. too funny!! Considering that he gets on my nerves and I am barely civil to him, I can �t see that being the reason! Although, some people enjoy that kind of thing, so you never know!! LOL

Anita, I wish I could say that your words give me hope! Wink  But they only depress me more since I was hoping to scare him away by throwing really hard stuff at him, lots of homework, etc! lol

6 Jul 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

Then by all means choose that book - the workbook is full of stuff and you can give him all the homework you want, and the book has many tasks, and in the teacher �s book at the end lots of additional stuff you can do with him plus many tests... I just wanted to save you the time in preparing...

6 Jul 2010     

Zora
Canada

Oh that sounds like an absolutely wonderful book! Full of work for my student to forget to do because of some ridiculous excuse like his dog needed walking!! lol

Thank you again Anita Smile

6 Jul 2010     

lshorton99
China

I like �Ready for Pet � - it �s got good tips, it goes through the exam thoroughly and it �s easy for both student and teacher to follow (I �m actually a big fan of the entire �Ready for � series - I �ve used it for PET, FCE and CAE this year and they �re the only books I haven �t been complaining about! I mean that literally - don �t get me started on �Straightforward, for example. Word of advice - it �s not!)

Supplement the book with a lot of extra speaking practice and technique, give him the occasional test from a Practice Test book for homework and make him do a writing once a week (or fortnight if ans alternate with practice tests). I taught PET this year and in terms of preparation it was the easiest class I had. The coursebook combined with 1 practice test book had every I needed except extra speaking practice, which was easy to produce - the exam �s similar to FCE so the technique is transferrable. We didn �t use a workbook at all!

xx

6 Jul 2010     

< Previous   1    2