Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > How to deal with slow students    

How to deal with slow students

Ide_Bere
Mexico

How to deal with slow students

Hello, how are you? I �m happy to tell you that finally my boss gave me a little children class for summer course. I �d asked her for this like a year and finally she did it and I �m so happy. I had tought teens like 4 years and I thought it was time to change a little.

Since I �m starting with new children I �m so excited and I �ve planed lots of activities according to the course and even though I �v got only 4 students all of the have worked really well. However, there is this girl who really spends a loooot of time doing the things her classmates do en a third of her time. I �m lost here. I don �t know what to do, if we wait for her we waste a lot of time, bu I don �t want her to miss activities.

What can you advise me?

Thank you so much for your time.

Bere

6 Jul 2010      

teachergisele
Brazil

Bere,

Just an idea...have you thought about getting your students to work in groups or in pairs? In this case, the students can help each other and things will flow easier!

Hope this helps! 

Regards,

Gisele

6 Jul 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

Depends if she �s slow or dyslexic! You should find out.

6 Jul 2010     

Flora1
Brazil

I think you have to forget about the time and try to discorver how is her intellengence style so if you how she learns  faster or undertand better try to use it in the class. The other students will learn with mixed activities but on the other hand you will be supporting the child who is not so fast, I also think is good to talk to the parents to try to discover the child likes when is studying.

Congrats for have a new class of students !!!!!!!!!

Flora

6 Jul 2010     

atsanti85
Canada

Hi Bere,

This is a very good question!
Fortunately, there are lots of resources you can look at for Differentiated Instruction which is exactly for your situation -- teaching students in one classroom who are at different levels.

Here �s a website:

You can look at the strategies there.
It can seem overwhelming at first but it is designed to make your life easier so that you can really teach that student and not waste your and her time!

Good luck!

6 Jul 2010