Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > schooling or education?    

schooling or education?

hongduyen
Vietnam

schooling or education?

I �ve got confused with this execise. This is from a passage about Faraday �s biography.

He had no__________ beyond reading and writing.
A. education                 B. schooling

Could anyone tell me which is the better, A or B, to fill in the blank, please? Thanks in advance!

7 Jul 2010      

Lina Ladybird
Germany

I �d definitely go for answer A. = education.

7 Jul 2010     

Apodo
Australia

I would choose education.

In his biography it says he received little formal education. Formal education usually means school, so it is difficult to know if he attended school or not. Really both answers could be correct.

7 Jul 2010     

libertybelle
United States

In many places in the USA- often the mid-west (I think) education is called schooling.
They say he had no schooling beyond .....

Both answers are therefore correct.

7 Jul 2010     

misseleonora
Argentina

I think schooling refers only to school education, and education its a little bit more general and can include other kinds of learning. so, I�d go for education.

7 Jul 2010     

libertybelle
United States

Misselenora -

if you read the sentence - it speaks of general education - reading and writing and nothing more.
In the old west - children only learned reading, writing and arithmetic.

7 Jul 2010     

Pattyko1
Romania

I �d go for schooling. Education is a much broader term (parents could also give some sort of education at home, for example -- and I �m not talking about home-schooling). Schooling is the term which refers to "school education", such as reading, writing, etc.

7 Jul 2010     

Zora
Canada

I �d agree with Lisa and Apoda, both answers are correct. 

7 Jul 2010     

hongduyen
Vietnam

Thanks a lot, dear colleague! Since this is a multiple choice test, it �s difficult for me to choose the better. We all know that Faraday �s parents were poor so he had little schooling. It means he had to quit school after very little schooling including reading and writing. So please help me to decide which is the better.

7 Jul 2010     

Jayho
Australia

It�s difficult but I think you�ll find your correct answer here

Cheers

Jayho

7 Jul 2010     

hongduyen
Vietnam

Just what I need, Jayho! Thanks a lot with a hug from Vietnam!

7 Jul 2010