Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > which language is it, please?     

which language is it, please?

missluly
Fiji

which language is it, please?

who can help me with this translation? i dont know if it is turkish or arabic,  or a mixture of languages.

Ai! ana i d�l, pella i osto
amboss�, sinome feanya caitas
Luin ehtel�, ataqu� i culuina
ve tier telpe ar taur� laiqua
Eruva ainan coan, ortany� camnyar,
nai encenuvany�?
Namari� tenna enomentielma!
aina coa, namari�! feanya, namari�!

thanks a lot

8 Jul 2010      

eglantine
Turkey

That �s not Turkish language.I also don �t know which language it is.I �m sure a member of us will help you soon.Regards...

8 Jul 2010     

dagn
France

not french either... sorry!

8 Jul 2010     

mcadan
Spain

Could it be Romanian ?

8 Jul 2010     

corina2211
Spain

I don �t know what language is is but certainly it �s not Romanian. 
Corina

8 Jul 2010     

corina2211
Spain

By the way, I googled it and it is related to elphic language Smile

8 Jul 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

Corina is right - Tolkien �s Elvish - there �s a whole dictionary with it...

8 Jul 2010     

Ide_Bere
Mexico

As far as I can find in google it is an elphic poem. I found a website in which there �s a whole explanation about that. However it is in spanish. Here �s the link and  it might help you. I couldn �t find it in english, sorry

http://www.taringa.net/posts/info/3201165/Todo-sobre-la-lengua-%C3%A9lfica-%28super-post%29.html

Bere

8 Jul 2010     

alien boy
Japan

The language used, if I remember correctly, is the �Quenya� dialect of Elvish. As far as the translation of the poem goes, I don�t know as it�s been a long time since I last read Tolkien or delved into the Elvish dialects he created.

Here are a couple of resources that may help you:

I believe the poet may also have used some non standard spellings & maybe even combined a few words. If you have a copy of �The Silmarillion� around it may help you!

Good luck
AB

9 Jul 2010     

lshorton99
China

It �s definitely Elvish, but not a poem I recognise. �Ai � is �alas � or a cry of some kind �, �i � is �and � and �namarie � is �farewell � - that �s all I can remember of Quenya. I believe it shares some similarities to Finnish, but I wouldn �t swear to it! The poem you posted looks similar to �Galadriel �s Lament � but it �s not the same poem. �Galadriel �s Lament � is in Quenya so that would be your best place to start!

A lot of people (*cough*) write poetry in Elvish (I was young - don �t judge) so it �s possible that this isn �t an original Tolkien poem, but something someone else has written, using his language and style. I googled it and it came up with a lot of pages in Spanish but none in English so I suspect that �s the problem with finding the translation. Or perhaps the Spanish version has changed the words slightly!

good luck!

Lindsey

9 Jul 2010     

missluly
Fiji

thanks a lot guys! i�ll use the clues that u gave me, thanks a bunchhhhh

9 Jul 2010     

1    2    Next >