Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > grammar structure    

grammar structure

mad_rdg
Germany

grammar structure

After getting to know him better, I regretted judging him unfairly.
 I searched some gerund ws to find this type of structure but I didn �t find! If you would like to  explain me a little bit this structure I �ll appreciate it! Also, if you know other structures with infinitive or gerund please don �t keep them just for you!:) Thank you! 

9 Jul 2010      

serene
Greece

Hi mad rdg! In your example, After getting to know him better is a participle clause, which has the function of an adverb, and it expresses time. I hope you �ll find this explanation useful. Scroll down the page until you come to the section about participle clauses following conjunctions and prepositions.
You could also check this for more information on participles.

9 Jul 2010     

MarianaC
Argentina

I was going to write my humble explanation, but fortunately checked the links Serene �s sent you, they are great!
The only thing I would add is that "after" as well as "before" can both work as prepositions - followed by a noun (I was still hungry after dinner), or as a conjunction - followed by a present participle or a clause (After getting to know him better, I regretted judging him unfairly. or After I got to know him better, I regretted judging him unfairly.)
I would also point out that the -ing form is used when the same tense is in both clauses (After getting/I got (simple past) to know him better, I regretted (simple past) judging him unfairly), so if you need to refer to something further in the past, then you need the perfective aspect (After having had dinner (I had dinner, past simple), I am (simple present)still hungry.) 
Hope this helps!

9 Jul 2010