Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > WHEN OR WHILE    

WHEN OR WHILE

rhoad21
Philippines

WHEN OR WHILE

In the past continuous tense what �s the difference between the usage of when and while. I have searched the net and I became confused with the info I had read.
some say that when is followed by the simple past. but i have seen an example which is not followed by simple past like

somebody broke into the house when they were playing cards.
while they were playing cards somebody broke into the house.

10 Jul 2010      

anitarobi
Croatia

As far as I know, while stresses the lasting of the process, which is why it is more often used for the past continuous than when. But there is no significant difference in the meaning in fact.

10 Jul 2010     

Jackie1952
Spain

I would always use "while" in these circumstances, for the same reason given by Anita. "While" suggests more longevity of the action-  "when" suggests a one time immediacy. 

10 Jul 2010     

yanogator
United States

I agree with the others, and have a little more to add.
For teaching purposes, I would say that it �s best to teach only "while" in this situation, for the sake of simplicity. It �s always correct and sounds very natural.

With that said, I will add that many people would say "when" most of the time, because "while" might have a slightly formal feeling to them. This is just because of regional and personal usage and has nothing to do with the rules of grammar. So, what I �m saying is that a person visiting the US might hear someone say, "Phyllis called when we were eating dinner" and wonder about the use of "when" instead of "while". It �s natural and common, but there �s no need to teach it.

I hope I haven �t confused you more.

Bruce

10 Jul 2010     

rhoad21
Philippines

thank you very much.
you are great help.

10 Jul 2010     

Adamica
Indonesia

Hi Rhoad and all kind responders..I am just coming this forum to night. so if you guys find out unsatisfied post of mine, so sorry for that.

Yeah, I am sure you have got the obvious different between WHEN and WHILE, aren �t you Rhoad?

In short,

When means...that time

While.........during that time.

10 Jul 2010