Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > How do you use flashcards?    

How do you use flashcards?

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

How do you use flashcards?

i have never used flashcards, i was wondering how do you use them in your classes, at the end of the class? at the beggining, can someone give me ideas?

11 Jul 2010      

blizzard1
Denmark

Hi Liz,

Most of the time I use them at the end of the lesson.
Although Monday mornings I use them at the beginning of the lesson as normaly my ss are way too sleepy and quiet.

It depends on the set and the theme but I use them to play memory ( 3 ss work best for me).
We can also use them to ask questions to each other ( pair work ).

Hope this is helpful.

Have a nice Sunday :)

Elizabeth

PS Here are a couple of links you might find helpful:

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/e/guide/flash-cards.html

http://homeworktips.about.com/od/studymethods/a/flashcards.htm

11 Jul 2010     

Vivilui
Argentina

I usually use them to start a topic, to teach vocabulary, to predict vocabulary, to make a little conversation. For example, you can have someone doing a sport, so apart from saying what �s he/she doing, you can imagine if this is his/her usual activity or her free time activity. You can imagine what he/she does or ... well, I hope it is useful. Just start, and ideas will come up freely to your mind. A hug

11 Jul 2010     

JudyHalevi
Israel

With fruit and vegetable flash cards, I play I went to the market and bought... (take a card), say all the other fruit and vegetables before and then your fruit/vegetable.  For just beginning, I have each student hold up their card as the kid is saying it.  Example:  I went to the market to buy... apples, oranges, zucchini, etc and each student holds up his card in turn. 

Other flash cards, we make sentences:  Jump card "I can jump", etc.   Lots of fun.

Hugs from Israel

Judy

11 Jul 2010     

anselmoaugusto
Brazil

Well, flashcards are very useful to ask "yes" or "no" questions, "either" "or" questions or "WH" questions. It makes students visualize and save vocabulary information. It would be useful to introduce new vocabulary, so in the beginning of the class would work better. Check the examples:

CLASSROOM OBJECTS 
T: Is this a pen?

S: Yes, it is (if the object is)
      No, it is not (if the object is a pencil)

T: Is this a pen or a pencil?
S: It �s a pen.

T:What �s this?
S: It �s a pen

ACTIONS

T:Is he running?
S:Yes, he is
     No, he isn�t (if he is walking)

T: Is he running or walking?
S: He is running.

T: What�s he doing?
S: He is running.

NOTES:

Ask individual questions. After some time of practising, tell them to ask one another questions. This will provide self confidence and interact with the group;

You can do this using many groups: classroom objects, parts of a house, fruit, food, actions, daily routine, present continuous actions, etc;

Besides using the vocabulary (nouns), you may review the usage of the auxiliary verbs, main verbs, adjectives, adverbs, etc;

After that, you may go to the Student�s book and check vocabulary they have learned.

Hope it helps!

11 Jul 2010     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

thanks! all of those are great ideas... any other suggestions is welcome . i am taking notes of all of them LOL

11 Jul 2010     

imelda
Mexico

when i use flashcards i use them to play games, for example i put them on the floor and i divide the students into to groups and then one member from each team stands near the flashcards and i call a vocabulary word (verb, fruit or vegetable or whatever...) the first one to find it and step on it gets a point then another pair stands up...i do the same activity on the wall..tape the flashcards all around the classroom and do the same ..two students...call out a word..but this time it could be with clean fly swatters ...the first to find the correct flashcard gets the point...or also stand the students a single line...and i stand in front of the with the flashcards..but they cant see them..i show one to the first student and he must give the correct word if they dont remember or they are like ...uhhhmmm...i say sorry and they have to go to the end of the line and the next students gets the opportunity to give me the word...if they get it correct they get the flashcard and its a point...the line keeps advancing so they they will all get several opportunities ...and i do this til all the flashcards have been given...the student with the most flashcards is the winner...( all of this should be done quickly so that its fun for them...i hope that these ideas could be useful for you..

imeBig smile

11 Jul 2010