Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Display ideas!     

Display ideas!

Laura-Jane
Japan

Display ideas!

Hello, and help!
I am all out of ideas! I have a massive display board and want to make an interesting, fun and useful display for my students, (japanese JHS students aged 12-15).

I already have a big map of my home country with information about that, but I am stuck with what to do with the next board!

I have the time and resources I just need the ideas!

Thanks in advance, I`m sure you all have some wonderful ideas!

Laura

13 Jul 2010      

englishman1978
Japan

Hi, Laura.
          I �m in the same situation. I am also working at a JHS in Japan with the same problem.
I can �t get the students to do any work on the display board because they are busy following the textbook and tests..
        At the moment I keep it up to date with the latest English movies that are out or up an coming.
I tried a four corner display board with America, England, Canada and Australia representing the corners with info on them.
   I would love to hear your ideas :-)

13 Jul 2010     

gsuiris
Japan

I make posters with holidays or events for every month and hang them up (for example July - Canada Day, American Independence Day, Bastille Day).  I also have a special area I can use for sporting events (like the World Cup and Olympics).  I try and get the information in Japanese for them as well - just to give them an international flavor (and the first years aren �t going to understand much if it was all in English).

Other ideas - pictures of school lunches in your home country, pictures of food you typically eat in your country, common English mistakes (example a vs an), Engrish/wasei-eigo, fun English slang words (I made some comics with things like What �s up, sweet, hot, etc.,), do a question and answer corner, sports teams in your country, music (genres, artists), TV shows, celebrities, comedians, characters, news.  There are so many things you can tell about your home country, or other countries.  Don �t limit yourself to just America/Canada/England/Australia.  Give them information and pictures of places all over the world.  Make it truly international.

13 Jul 2010     

Laura-Jane
Japan

Thanks for the ideas,
I had a very productive day with my display!

My sts are fed up of things like school lunches etc.
So I had a good think about what my students as me about, it`s me and my boyfriend!

So I have a map of the UK surrounded by pictures I have taken. A picture of my house, a picture of me and the boyfriend on holiday in Edinburgh etc.

I also have a separate display of English coins and notes, massive ones laminated.
I will complete this by having a guess how much things are in England game next to it.

I showed it to some of my 3rd grade students before they went home and they really loved it!

Any ideas would still be appreciated as I have 2 more boards to fill!

Good luck with your display Englishman!

13 Jul 2010     

Zora
Canada

You know what I find is fascinating (this could be just a "me" thing here LOL) but products you can buy in the store! I think it �s neat to see the things that people buy in different places and the brands they have.

I also think it �s interesting to see that, for example "Lays" potato chips in Spain, are called "Walkers" in the Uk and how certain items are marketed under a different brand name.  You could make a display showing different brands of candy, soup, shampoo, toothpaste, etc...

13 Jul 2010