Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > The blues    

The blues

portugueseteacher
Portugal

The blues

Hi, everybody!

For those teachers who are on green receipt system or end of school contract  don �t you get a bit down when this time of the year comes?
It happens to me and I feel anxious , worried because I don �t know if I will get a vacancy.
How do you cope with this situation?
Kisses for everyone!

14 Jul 2010      

Mariethe House
France

Dear; I can understand you are feeling anxious... I would in your insecure situation! I guess it means you will have to look for another teaching job ... So instead of taking a well deserved holiday that you probably need, you will have to start looking... This situation is more and more frequent in France too! It helps governments save money! So, keep your chin up and good luck. >>>>>>People here are very understanding and you will get some helpful replies!Smile

14 Jul 2010     

veraviana
Portugal

Hey there!!!
Actually I �m on �green receipt system � (?) at a private school and my public school contract finishes on 31st August. I never know if I will be able to get a vacancy, where I will work, how many classes I will get and when I will start working (because sometimes you only start in October or November or later) and it �s terrible because I �m very organised and I would like to start the preparation for the new school year sooner if I knew beforehand which grades I would get. Anyway, there �s not much I can do so I wait, I create some tests/worksheets/evaluation tables that I know will be useful anytime, I relax and I spend time with my three-year-old daughter. If I can �t find anything by the end of September, I start �advertising myself � as a tutor and although and I don �t like that very much, it �s a good way to keep updated and make tax-free money. ;-)
Hugs,
Vera

14 Jul 2010     

Carla74
Portugal

Yes, I can understand your worries and fears. It �s the story of my life!!
I am an AEC teacher and t it is always the same anxiety!

This year I �ve promised myself I wouldn �t suffer in advance and I am trying to think positive. 
And, as Vera said, I will "advertise myself" and I will certainly find something as a tutor, because I have been working in a "Centro de Explica��es" for a while now.

Meanwhile I try to relax, I spend all the time I can with my eight-year-old Princess and  I try to look on the bright side of life

Le�t keep the faith!! Good luck to all of us!!
Carla

14 Jul 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

What can I say - we �re all rooting for you not to have such a problem - they say work is always found for those willing to do the job. We all know how you feel...
PS: I know this is slightly off your topic, although not much, but they �re about to close 143 schools in my country and lay off all the staff there - cutbacks to save money for the state... Can you believe it??? Sorry to mention it here, but I �m just so outraged!!!

14 Jul 2010     

Catalina Sorina
Romania

@ Anitarobi: Don �t worry, in Romania the common "practice" is to reduce the number of teachers all over the country by gathering several classes with a small number of children in one big class... in every school where this is possible...

14 Jul 2010     

donapeter
Romania

No no no...you are telling only half the truth. The other half is that they mass two schools/high-schools together even if there is no place for so many students. Here in my city, this year we have 6 high-schools massed together and 6 schools. So, from 6 high-schools in June, there will be 3 high schools in September. 
So...please....any other country : beat this!
Oh....an the other half (as any unit has 3 halves!!! LOL) is that they want to raise the number of classes for a teacher: from 18 to 26. 

14 Jul 2010     

dawnmain
United Kingdom

I organise my own summer school for a month with 2 groups of kids from 7 - 11, 8 kids per group from 10am to 2pm.
I hire the community centre, we do multi-activities in English - cooking, walking, beach, games, crafts, etc, I make enough money to get comfortably through the long summer.

14 Jul 2010     

portugueseteacher
Portugal

Thanks a lot for those who left a post here.Your words helped to soothmy mind!
Let �s keep the Faith!
I wish you all a nice and peaceful Summer!

15 Jul 2010