Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > Lets Fight Those who Steal and Sell our work...    

Lets Fight Those who Steal and Sell our work...

vanda51
Portugal

I agree that watermark our worksheets here is not the best solution ..

And if we could add on the footer something like this:

Copyright: ( author) 

15 Jul 2010     

donapeter
Romania

The best way to protect something is to keep it in a safe! And, of course not to tell anybody about it! 
Who wants to steal - will steal anyway. Whatever we do or not. Even if we send a picture , it can be cut and used , it can be modified and changed. 

15 Jul 2010     

zoemorosini
United States

I appreciate Psychayogi �s suggestion--and his thorough instructions--!, though I own a Mac, so I �d probably have to find other resources.

15 Jul 2010     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Dear blunderbuster,

well, this time it �s me who was rude (by your opinion, not mine;o). The above suggestion has been here several times but as I wrote it is possible to remove the watermark, so even thought the guy meant well, it is not very useful for our purposes.
Have a nice day and cheer up;o))

15 Jul 2010     

mariamit
Greece

Thank you PsYcHaYoGi. Your intentions are well meant but as Baiba says, there would still be problems. And, of course watermarks can always be deleted and like Dona says those intent on stealing will steall. Maybe we can follow Vanda �s suggestions. Of course, it will cause lots of problems with the moderators who will not always be able to tell whose work is original and whose isn �t. My suggestion would be to ask Victor �s opinion. As webmaster, he may have some ideas as to what would be feasible and what not.

15 Jul 2010     

lshorton99
China

I think it �s an interesting idea but I �m not really sure it would change anything. Many people use watermarked images which moderators then have to remove. Even if the work were watermarked, I don �t think it would stop anyone from stealing it. Either they would remove the watermark or they wouldn �t bother and just use it with the watermark. Someone who copies won �t stop because it �s more obvious they �ve copied!

I will save your instructions for watermarking work as I think it �s certainly something interesting and bears further investigation!

Lindsey

15 Jul 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Forgive me if I �m repeating what someone else has pointed out elsewhere, but isn �t it already possible to watermark worksheets using Word 2007 (and remember .docx files can be changed to .doc files) without having to install more applications? I usually use Word for Mac, but I know I �ve seen the �watermark � option under Page Layout when I �ve had to use a Windows machine. All of which suggests to me that if it �s easy enough to apply, it should be easy enough to remove (or perhaps, like an enterprising cattle rustler, �rebrand �)

15 Jul 2010     

mEselF
Italy

MJ_Misa --> the 1st question is a bit direct, thats if you are a native speaker..  "aren �t a moderator, are you?" its direct and aggresive--> thats the problem, but i don �t really care... im a moderator on a torrent website where you download illegal and pirated material :)  dont believe me? LoL look for my name on the top sites.
----------> i cant make the files smaller.. sorry.. ive already done this and im not going to rescan/resize images.. i have a lot of things to do.

blunderbuster , thanks hun for the support Heart   :)

vanda51 --> you are welcome dear! , but adding a footer would still make it editable.. if im not mistaken, i read one of your comments about having WS stolen and sold, im sorry for that... i personally dont care as i belive in "sharing is caring" not "stealing" thats over the limit!

donapeter ---> yeah thats true, but i was just trying to find a small solution for those who have problems..... 

zoemorosini --> if you need something for the mac, let me know LoL!

mariamit ---> thanks for the nice reply.. yes i will speak to victor, if he wants or needs any help in making sure and identifying anything im here. but i will see what he wants to do.

lshorton99 --> you are welcome my friend!  --> BUT its not the images that i want to watermark, its the worksheets as most of the images are from the net anyways

almaz --> you can hard-code watermarks onto documants which are then in turn not removable. yes you can do this in MsWord as well, but they are editable and easy to remove.

--> Last thing that i would like to state is that i propose that we watermark our WS and not each and every image.. since there are those that steal anyway and if they want to they can just re-type the info... watermarking the WS just gives those creeps a little more to do then just download and sell as their own work to gain a profit.

Peace and Love to all :)

15 Jul 2010     

ELOJOLIE274
France

Hi,
what I ask is maybe a lot, but why don �t you make a tutorial? i �ve seen you haven �t thousands of points, so it might bother you to make a tutorial that will get you no points - since tutorials are free - but then maybe you can create a template instead...
your suggestion seems great, i �ll try it as soon as i come back home - after my holidays - it �s true that adding a watermark in a corner, even if it �s small, could maybe stop people from stealing...
thanks for your idea!!!
Elodie

15 Jul 2010     

teresapr
Portugal

Agree with most of the answers , complicated but make it a tutorial.

15 Jul 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >