Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > A Problem with Johnny!!!! Share your ideas!!    

A Problem with Johnny!!!! Share your ideas!!

Nebal
Lebanon

A Problem with Johnny!!!! Share your ideas!!

Hello dear teachers,

I was reading the article"Why Johnny Can �t Write" by Mark Pennington, and wondered about the following.

1-  If Johnny is a good story-writer, why can �t he write other styles of writing like persuasive writing?
2- At the end, the writer of the article suggested a way to help Johnny write , but how effective and clear this suggested way is?
3- What weaknesses and strengths can u spot in this article content wise and structure wise?

Here is the article.

�Johnny is a creative story-writer, but he can�t write an essay to save his life.� Does this ring true for your child or student?

Johnny has had some good writing instruction. He can recite the steps of The Writing Process from the posters he has seen in every classroom throughout his elementary school years. He knows all about Writers Workshop. He would know what to expect if the teacher had written �Writers Conferences� or �Response Groups� on the white board as parts of her daily lesson plans. Johnny�s writing portfolio is chalk full of fanciful stories and writing pieces in the sensory/descriptive or imaginative/narrative writing domains. He has been encouraged to unleash his creative mind-although that story that he wrote last year about the student boycott of the cafeteria may have been a bit too creative for the principal�s tastes.

However, if you give Johnny a writing prompt, asking him to �Compare and contrast the cultural roles of women in Athens and Sparta,� sixth grade writing paralysis would surely set in. Or worse yet, Johnny might begin his essay with �Once upon a time in a far-away land called Greece, two young women from Athens and Sparta�� His difficulties would, no doubt, increase if this were a timed assessment.

Additionally, most of his writing will be subject to some kind of time constraint. Johnny has just not had the instruction and practice in this kind of writing. His college professors probably will not hand him a �blue book,� tell him to write a story of his own choice, and then turn it in after multiple revisions when his final draft has been published and properly illustrated.

Students need to learn how to write structured essays designed to inform and convince their teachers and professors. But how do you transform a creative, non-linear thinker like Johnny into an organized and persuasive writer? Take the mystery out of essays by replacing the confusing terminology of thesis statements, topic sentences, concrete details, and commentary with simple numerical values that reflect the hierarchy of effective essay structure. For example, assign a �1″ to introductory strategies, a �2″ to the thesis statement, a �3″ to the topic sentence, a �4″ to the concrete detail, a �5″ to the commentary, and a �6″ to the conclusion strategies. Telling a student that a �5″ is needed to support a �4,� which supports a �3″ is much more intuitive-and students get it! Teach structural variety by having students write 3-4-5-4-5 paragraphs and revise with 3-4-5-5-4-5-5 paragraphs. Have students analyze text structure by numerically coding their science book or a newspaper editorial. Use this approach to develop sequenced writing skills, incorporating different grammatical structures and sentence structure. 

Thanks in advance.
Your help means a lot.
Nebal

15 Jul 2010      

teresapr
Portugal

As far as I �m concerned, I think your questions are meaninful and thought provoking, but I �d need more time to answer. You know exams, exausted..If you could repeat it one of these days...

15 Jul 2010     

ELOJOLIE274
France

hello!
you said:
1-  If Johnny is a good story-writer, why can �t he write other styles of writing like persuasive writing?
to write a story and to write an essay requires different strategies. when writing a story, you need your imagination to write the plot, when writing an essay, you need first to understand the question(s) that need(s) to be answered, and then to answer it using your knowledge. for example let �s say i asked you to write a story around the theme "violence at school", you might talk about a kid and a bully... but if i asked you to write an essay on the same theme, you wouldn �t be able to use your imagination... you would have to use your knowledge to explain the causes of violence, its consequences... it might take you a few days to write such an essay if you �re not well prepared. writing the story might only take you an hour if you �re inspired...

2- At the end, the writer of the article suggested a way to help Johnny write , but how effective and clear this suggested way is?
3- What weaknesses and strengths can u spot in this article content wise and structure wise?
i don �t like it and i think that it won �t be effective after a while. to write a good essay you need to understand the inherent structure of an essay, and giving number is not enough! moreover to write an essay means to organize one �s thoughts, so this technique is not complete: how can a pupil know where to put his/her ideas?

take care
Elodie

16 Jul 2010     

Nebal
Lebanon

Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, Elodieeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! You did a great job!! Your ideas are soooooooooooooooooo inspiring.
Thanks for your great support and most importantly your patience to read the article and answer the questions.

I agree with all u �ve writter. Bravo!!
have a great night,
Nebal

16 Jul 2010