Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > could you explain me the answers of these exercises?!?:)    

could you explain me the answers of these exercises?!?:)

blunderbuster
Germany

Guys, we are not going to change others, we can only change ourselves. A few weeks ago someone asked here "Do you have the rules for the .... passive (I believe it was)" I could not believe my eyes but people were incredibly helpful.

So, definitely out of this.

16 Jul 2010     

mEselF
Italy

#1 Utterly = adverb  Utter = adjective .. nonsense = Noun .. no adverbs before nouns

#2 --> pretty obvious .. is the stone doing an action? no?  you can say " A stone �s throwing a party at the beach :D

LoL @ the  3rd answer.. its wrong ;) --> It �s Get, not have..!

#4 --> come on ;)

I don �t understand the 5th question!

#6 you can use both. .. depends on the situation.

#8 ?? LoL you say Have +inf / Have + to inf and you write �Have him.... � ; anyways its Have him do .. not have him to do

#9 well if you are saying or �telling � things.. its got to be told to someone.. so TO + subject ; but I would say � Tell them something �

#10 .. same as above.. you gotta lie to someone ;)

#11 disloyal beacuse the others are not words ;)

#12 controversial = adjective ..controversially = adverb ---> so no adverbs before nouns! controversing = does not exist

# 13 Did you ask him where was he last night or Have you asked him where he was last night?  = Did you ask him where HE WAS last night? = Have you asked him where he was last night?
---> Have you asked = Present Perfect ( used to connect a past action with a present situation)
---> Did you ask = Past Simple (refers only to the action itself, and has no connection with the present at all.)
So...
Back to the original question, and in cases like this, where you are asking if somebody has recently performed a certain action, you can choose which tense you prefer to use. American speakers will prefer the past simple, while British speakers will usually use the present perfect.

Generally, if the connection with the present is clear from the context, or is made clear by a word like "already" or "just", Americans will use the past simple:

I just sent it. (American English)
I �ve just sent it. (British English)

hope this helps in some way :D

16 Jul 2010     

yanogator
United States

In #1, "nonsense" is uncountable, so it can �t be "an ... nonsense".

Bruce

16 Jul 2010     

mad_rdg
Germany

Thank you Psy!Thank you Bruce, you have always helped me!:)

16 Jul 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

To the point, Arjun - which is how it should have been from the kick-off.

A wee disagreement, Bruce, as far as #1 is concerned: in BrE, we do talk about something being �a nonsense �, so �an utter nonsense � would be acceptable (not that common, mind you) on this side of the Atlantic. Having said that, however, I �ve never heard it being used in the plural (yet!).

Alex

16 Jul 2010     

yanogator
United States

Thanks, Alex!
I know a lot about British English, but I hadn �t heard about that.

Bruce

16 Jul 2010     

dturner
Canada

Aye, Ooooch man.  (attempt at accent)  In the colonies :-) we often use That �s utter nonsense, so it isn �t that rare.  (like the steak we eat on this side of the pond!)

17 Jul 2010     

< Previous   1    2