Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help with translation: Repuesto    

Help with translation: Repuesto

newuser07
Argentina

Help with translation: Repuesto

Hi Dear friends,

Could you pls help me translate this word? At school students have folders and sheets of paper. When they�ve used them all they buy a "repuesto" made up of 500 pages.
How do you call this? I�ve found the word spare (parts) but I don�t think you can use them in this context... I�d use them for cars for example.
And if you referred to a sign... if we had the structure but needed to change the logo for example in the vynil/ board, etc could we use the same word we �d use for sheets?

Thanks in advance. Have a great weekend!!!!

17 Jul 2010      

Mar0919
Mexico

Hi, Newuser! "Repuesto" will have a different meaning, depending on the context, but can mean: replacement, extra, refill, etc. so, if you �re talking about sheets of paper, probably replacement would fit good in here.

Hope this helped.

Mar

17 Jul 2010     

Jackie1952
Spain

Hi Newuser.

For the paper I�d use "refill" and for the logo it would be "replacement!"

17 Jul 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

I �d say a spare pack of sheets.

17 Jul 2010     

yanogator
United States

I agree with Jackie and alicia. We (in the US, at least) usually say "a refill" when it comes to paper (or ink), but we would call the pack a spare pack or an extra pack. We usually say "replacement" (as Jackie said for the logo) when we change something, like your sign, or put in a new one because the old one is broken or outdated. That word should make total sense to you, since re/poner translates literally into re/place.

Now for a Spanish lesson for me, please:
If you are having a soda in a restaurant and you want another one, in English we ask the waitress for a "refill". Would you ask for a "repuesto" in Spanish?

Thanks,
Bruce

17 Jul 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

No, Bruce, you �d simply say " Quisiera otro/a "... "�Me traer�a/s otro/a ?"
A hug!

17 Jul 2010     

Jackie1952
Spain

I agree with Alicia..................isn�t language FUN????

The difference is, I think Bruce, that which exists between US and UK English.
On the other side of the pond, we Brits wouldn�t ask for a refill................we�d say "Could I have another please?"

Jackie xx

17 Jul 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

I totally agree with Jackie! Asking for a "refill" in such a situation would sound at least a bit weird to British ears I suppose... Wink

17 Jul 2010     

Babs1966
France

When I read "refill" it makes me think of coffee ... like a "Free refill" Loved the States for those free refill ;)

but for paper I would ask for an extra "ream of paper" a ream holds 500 sheets of paper ;)

Hope I helped Big smile

Have a good day,

Babs

17 Jul 2010     

newuser07
Argentina

Thanks a lot for all your answers!!!!

Very useful and interesting topics :)

Have a great day!

19 Jul 2010