Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > help me    

help me

asesinocerebral.
Costa Rica

help me

hi friends, I respect you, help me I don �t understand why do people say "I had a headache , but why do I say "I had a legache please , explain me when use a pain, ache or sore and why is used in some words

17 Jul 2010      

ELOJOLIE274
France

Hi,
i �ve actually read and heard "a leg ache" or "leg aches" (in 2 words) - but i might be wrong...

an ache (n.): a continuous, dull pain (in contrast to a sharp, sudden, or sporadic pain) - eg. a headache, a backache, a stomachache = when it �s in 2 words it is the name of the illness one �s suffer from
sore (adj.): physically painful or sensitive, as a wound, hurt, or diseased part = painful, tender - eg. a sore throat, a sore foot
a pain (n.): physical suffering or distress, as due to injury, illness... = general word - eg. a back pain

is it clear?

have a nice day/evening ;)
Elodie

17 Jul 2010     

libertybelle
United States

That �s just the way it is - and you have to learn it.
I say - my leg hurts or I have a pain in my leg- but never a leg ache
but you can ache in your muscles.

18 Jul 2010     

yanogator
United States

and so you can say, "My leg aches", but not "I have a leg ache."

The noun "ache" is limited to headache, backache, toothache and muscle aches (never a muscle ache), as well as the general "aches and pains".

With verbs, it �s different. You can say that your leg (or any body part) aches or hurts. You can also say that it is sore (meaning that it hurts when you apply pressure from without or within).

Many pages can be written about the specifics of hurting. We have provided some of the basics.

Bruce

18 Jul 2010