Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Job names    

Job names

Larisa.
Russian Federation

Job names

Hello everyone!

Would you mind me asking you some more questions about jobs.

1. The trouble is that I can �t find the name for a man who repairs computers. I looked up in the dictionary and on the net, but I failed. Do you call him �computer man � or just �repair man � or what?

2. What are these  jobs names? �cleaner �, �caretaker �, �road sweeper �, �janitor � �     

Thanks a lot in advance, Hug

Larisa

26 Jul 2010      

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Dear Larisa,

I would call someone who fixes my PC a computer expert. Can �t think of any other names, but I �m sure that our native speakers will give you some more ideas.

This job is called `street sweeper` or `road sweeper`.

Hugs - Silke

26 Jul 2010     

foose1
United States

Technicians or Electronic Technicians.  There are a lot of people these days that can fix computers depending on what they fix.  For example, a software issue can be fixed by just about anyone that has no schooling.  The real repairman are called Electronic Technicians and normally training is given in a college.  Soon, you will not have to have much electronic theory to fix computers as the mother boards are becoming throwaway items.   

26 Jul 2010     

Larisa.
Russian Federation

Thanks a lot dear Silke and foose1 for your quick reply. Thumbs Up

BTW do you really call repairmen "Electronic Technicians" in spoken English? This sounds a bit official and long to me? Smile

26 Jul 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Larisa, as far as I know, in British English it is common to call a service technician who comes and fixes your washing machine an engineer, even if he doesn �t have a university degree. Here in Germany the expression is reserved for university graduates.

Regards

26 Jul 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

If I were in Britain and my washing mashine needed to be fixed, I wouldn �t call an engineer but a plumber, Regina... Are you sure?

26 Jul 2010     

Larisa.
Russian Federation

For me a plumber is someone who does something with water pipes Smile but I might be mistaken.

Please native speaker help me.

If you have problems with your computer (I hope not at the moment) you call this man
What is his name? Sorry, not his name , of course, the name of his job?

Can anyone help me, please? 

Best wishes,
Larisa

26 Jul 2010     

Joeyb1
South Africa

1.  Computer technician
2.  Cleaner

26 Jul 2010     

Zora
Canada

Like Joey, I �d say "Computer technician"... and for me, the others are "street cleaner" and "the garbageman"... 

26 Jul 2010     

Larisa.
Russian Federation

Many, many, many THANKS, Joey and Linda, Silke, Regina, foose1!

26 Jul 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

You �re welcome, Larisa.

@ Silke, I checked, just to make sure.....Cornelsen, Technical English for Beginners, p. 15 : "Engineer wird manchmal f�r Berufe benutzt, die nicht dem deutschen "Ingenieur" entsprechen (britische Firmen schicken etwa einen engineer, um Ihre Waschmaschine zu reparieren).

Geek

26 Jul 2010     

1    2    Next >