Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > False friends for Spanish students?    

False friends for Spanish students?

dragona
Spain

False friends for Spanish students?

Can somone tell me why this is not allowed it is the false friends that the english students can encounter in a spanish talking country and the problems it causes... I thought this would be ok maybe I should have asked first....

29 Jul 2010      

Apodo
Australia

Because it is not all in English. It is only useful for Spanish / English.
This site is for teachers in many different parts of the world.

29 Jul 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

False friends in Spanish are not the same as in German as you can certainly imagine. That �s why all contributions must be 100 % in English... Sorry, but that �s the way Victor put it in February this year!

29 Jul 2010     

cyan67
Spain

VICTOR TOLD THAT THE CONTRIBUTIONS MUST BE IN ENGLISH 100%, BUT IT WAS VERY USEFUL FOR ME.

29 Jul 2010     

donapeter
Romania

Dragona dear, I can see you �re new here ( this year if I am not wrong)and this is why I am amazed that you didn;t read the rules. We , the moderators, keep saying: READ THE RULES and the newbies keep doing whatever they think is right but reading the rules. 
You just can �t ignore Victor �s rules on his site and then be upset someone reported your wss.Someone who has read the rules.  

You don�t have to ASK ...you have to read the RULES!

29 Jul 2010     

dragona
Spain

SORRY MY MISTAKE YOU ARE RIGHT ONLY 100% ENGLISH SORRY ABOUT THAT HandshakeTHANKS
GOOD DAY TO YOU

29 Jul 2010     

Jorgelinaac
Argentina

Hi teachers! I was thinking that there is no way to provide a worksheet about false friends all in English, since we need the other pair of words in Spanish, French, Italian, Arabic, etc.   

As false friends are usually taught in almost every English course, maybe they could be accepted. Teachers will download the ones which are suitable for their students. For instance, as an English teacher of Spanish students, I will find useful those worksheets about false friends in English and Spanish. Then, another teacher can upload a worksheet with false friends in French and English, and teachers with French students will find them useful too,  and so on.  I would just not download it because it is not useful for me, but it would not bother me.

Anyway, this �flexibility � of the rule should be limited only to false friends worksheets! Why not?

Just an idea :)

Have a nice day

Jor

29 Jul 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

False friends lists are easily found on the internet... for all languages.
There �s hardly any work from the member.
I believe single lists altogether should not be allowed (irregular verbs/phrasal verbs/false cognates), as they �re not original or not useful if there �s no activity to do with the students. I personally don �t consider lists to be teaching resources, they �re more self study material. Still... of course, that �s just me.

But I support the rule.

Bruna.

29 Jul 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

I totally agree with you, Bruna...

29 Jul 2010     

Lindax
Ukraine

Hei Bruna! I absolutely agree �with you!

Pity I was too busy to join your game yesterday!

Should quotations be allowed?

29 Jul 2010     

zailda
Brazil

Hi!

I also respect the rules but still don �t consider lists as "original work". They �re easily found anywhere on the internet and books and - agree with you, Bruna - they aren �t ESL resources without the member �s original tasks included (what they hardly ever include).

Of course this is only my personal opinion and I don �t vote for their removal unless they are copies - as Victor told us to do.

False cognates are even worse because the list of the English / Portuguese false cognates does not correspond to the same list of English / German ones, for instance.

BTW, the concept of "useful" may vary from member to member, and even useful resources for some will be removed if they don �t fit the rules.

Have a nice day!

29 Jul 2010     

1    2    Next >