Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Lesson on Bad English    

Lesson on Bad English

Songlessons
Ukraine

Lesson on Bad English

Hello there!

I want to prepare a lesson on bad English for my adult students. Since Korben Dallas (5th Element) said �Whoa, lady, I only speak two languages, English and bad English �, I decided that my students do need to know this aspect of language.�Tongue

So here are the questions:

1. Have you ever done anything like this with your students?

2. Do you have any ideas about what to include in the lesson?�

3. Do you know any resources that might help me? Or maybe websites?

Thank you in advance.

Ira.

5 Aug 2010      

blunderbuster
Germany

Well, it wouldn �t hurt to teach them how to "swear" politely, if there is such a thing....

5 Aug 2010     

Babs1966
France

Hello,

I usually use the song "where is the love" from the Black Eyed Peas

This song, gives us the possibility to talk about Gangs in the USA
as to know the Bloods and the Crips

from my research on the internet I found a movie about those gangs

(the video is a document about those gangs)

Don �t know if you �ll find this interesting to use, but I know the students I did it with were pleased

Good day,

Babs

Jessica Alba speaks about this movie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjvZhSnT404

5 Aug 2010     

sulekra
Australia

I �ve done lessons about swearing which have always been a lot of fun, and about euphamisms too, but only with older, more progressed students;) Internet slang is also an interesting topic, and that �s about as bad as English gets haha!

5 Aug 2010     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

Hello Big smile

1. Yep, a few times with my 18+ students...as it turned out teen ss know too much about bad English so they didn �t really need my help LOL

2. Well, I wouldnt include �strong � swear words, of course...you can also include some phrases which are on the border of being accepted and being regarded as not really accepted by general public. Some slang would do fine here too. But please, first think how your group of students will react to this...if there is at least one person who you think will look like this I �d stay away from the whole idea...

5 Aug 2010     

Songlessons
Ukraine

Thanks for you help, everyone. Well, my students are 25+ and they �ve been asking for such a lesson for months, so...

Babs1966, thank you for the interesting links you provided.

Wish me good luck!

5 Aug 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Hi, dear Ira! :))

You might be interested in these wss I �ve found at ESLP:

Good luck!! Wink

Silke

5 Aug 2010     

franknbea
United Kingdom

Hi there,
Try this site;
they have a section on slang, one on cockney rhyming slang and common phrases and expressions. They also have a listening exercise about English pronounciation and local dialect.
I am jus finishing a Ws on English slang which you are most welcome to use as soon as it �s uploaded. It should be up tomorrow.

Good luck.

5 Aug 2010