Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What to do if....    

What to do if....

franknbea
United Kingdom

Well folks,
thanks for your views, I think I know how to proceed now.
My reasons are the same as Liz �s.
I dowloaded a Ws sheet recently and stupidly didn �t bother to check it. It was on the present perfect.
Yesterday, I handed it out to my students and then discovered to my horror that it was not only past simple but it was full of spelling errors.
The author has been PMed and was very nice about it.
But to be perfectly honest the biggest mistake was mine for not checking in the first place.
I could give a million excuses for it like I �m rushed off my feet or am tired but in the end it �s just plain laziness.
Thanks again for your opinions. They all count.

6 Aug 2010     

joy2bill
Australia

I �ve got to agree with Liz. I have sent pm �s and got a big flea in my ear for my trouble and so now I don �t do it. I just quietly correct it for myself, where possible. 

Like Franknbea I have often been embarrassed by handing out worksheets with mistakes because I didn �t read them but I don �t stress because even commercial text books (which have been well and truly proofread) have some mistakes.

What really worries me is the fact that some teachers are inflicting their �fossilized errors � on unsuspecting and believing students. It is our job as teachers to be constantly improving our skills. I �m a native speaker but I still spend a lot of time checking my understanding of grammar.

Just my tuppence worth, Joy

7 Aug 2010     

rnrlisa
United States

Yes, everyone makes mistakes! As Joy mentioned, it �s especially surprising with textbooks as they do have a staff of editors. 
Hopefully the members here will appreciate mistakes as learning opportunities.  I think that �s a valuable contribution native speakers are able to offer here.  
As an American using British ESL books, my eyes have been opened to subtle differences between our "versions" and I hesitate before saying anything is wrong, yet I �ve read some mistakes that could possibly confuse students and perpetuate common errors.  I am mortified when I find typos in my own work, but I usually give students a little treat if they can find them:-)
The non-native speakers of English do some incredible work here and it will only make the site stronger if people are open to corrections. 

7 Aug 2010     

< Previous   1    2