Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > translation - beware    

translation - beware

newuser07
Argentina

translation - beware

Hi dear friends,

Could you pls check if this sounds right to you?

It�s some info for tourists:

Pls beware of fast movements in restaurants, taxis, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Have a great week :)

9 Aug 2010      

jmalone77
United States

Maybe sudden movements?  There �s something in there that is not quite right although you get the meaning across.

Beware of seems ok though.

9 Aug 2010     

yanogator
United States

"sudden movements" definitely sounds better, but I don �t quite understand what you are warning people about. Do you mean that they should avoid making sudden movements? If so, why are you warning them? Please explain the purpose of your sentence. Are you translating something that already exists in Spanish?

Thanks!
Bruce

9 Aug 2010     

SueThom
United States

I could maybe see "beware of fast-moving taxis" (warning pedestrians not to step into the street without looking) or perhaps "beware of sudden movements in a small boat" (warning them they could tip the boat over). In a restaurant? Well, "beware of servers who may be moving quickly" might work.

Bruce is right: more context would help us help you more.

Or, you might go to this website:  http://www.americancorpus.org/
Type in "beware" and/or "beware of" and you �ll get lots of examples of actual use in US English.

Sue

9 Aug 2010     

newuser07
Argentina

Thanks a lot for your help!!! Dear Sue I�ll definitely get used to americancorpus. Thanks for your suggestion.
Regarding context... I�m helping a friend with a leaflet for a shop. The idea is that tourists might get some fake bills instead of real ones., they might get robbed, etc and this is the info my friend wanted to include in the leaflet.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me. :)

9 Aug 2010