Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help    

Help

Urpi
Peru

Help

Good evening teachers from all over the world:
I need some ideas about how to teach the past unreal conditional inverted form. I will be very grateful. The thing is not easy for students to understand. How can I make it simplier for them?
Thanks in advance.

9 Aug 2010      

Apodo
Australia

This site explains it quite well: English Improvement
The inverted form is mentioned briefly.

Perhaps you could teach it by using situations that your students can relate to.
eg:
If he had spent more time studying he would have done much better in his English test. 

= (He didn �t spend much time studying so he has done badly in the test.)

The inverted form isn�t used in everday speech. It�s quite formal.

Had he spent more time studying he would have done much better in his English test. 

Occasionally you hear unreal conditional sentences that use subjunctive forms with inverted word order instead of the much more common "if" clause:
- Had I not tripped, I would have won the race. (= If I had not tripped, I would have won the race.)
- Were he alive, he would oppose your position. (= If he were alive, he would ...)

9 Aug 2010