Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What is this hobby called?    

What is this hobby called?

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

What is this hobby called?

Hi,
I know many hobbies like swimming , reading , writing ... etc.

If I like to look at pictures , natrual scene , different things but usually pictures in newspapers , websites, magazines...etc. , what is this hobby called?
Can we see it is looking ??

Thanks

10 Aug 2010      

Apodo
Australia

I don �t think there is a name for this hobby.

You can �t say �I like looking � , you need to give more information. You can say:
I like looking at pictures.
I like looking at pictures of scenery.

If the pictures are photos:
I like looking at photos.
I like looking at scenic photography.

10 Aug 2010     

AnnyJ
Taiwan

hi,

I like to observe.

10 Aug 2010     

Apodo
Australia

But you can �t say �My hobby is observing �

No-one would know what you meant.
You don �t observe pictures in a magazine, you look at them, though you can observe small details in pictures, or you can observe a scientific experiment.

ob�serve/əbˈzərv/Verb
1. Notice or perceive (something) and register it as being significant.
2. Watch (someone or something) carefully and attentively.  More ï¿½

10 Aug 2010     

dennismychina
China

Hi, What about browsing.  �A browser�. You can browse the web, or through newspapers and magazines.

Enjoy

10 Aug 2010     

Jayho
Australia

IMHO, if it is a hobby then it is usually classified as reading.  So, if someone is listing their hobbies on their resume or an application form, for instance, they can write  "swimming , reading , writing and reading". 

The term "Reading" can cover a variety of forms of reading even though, when we say "reading", it is assumed to be fiction.

10 Aug 2010     

Apodo
Australia

You can browse in shops too. It �s a useful word but it doesn �t explain what a person does as a hobby. You really need to include what is being browsed.

Another word to use instead of hobbies would be interests and that could cover looking at pictures.
You can say: My interests include books, magazines, newspapers and the Internet.

My hobbies are cooking and scuba diving and my other interests include books, mag.....etc.

10 Aug 2010