Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Please help me to find list of expression !!    

Please help me to find list of expression !!

whoami
Indonesia

Please help me to find list of expression !!

I desperately need a help. Cry
Hello teachers. I �m from Indonesia. I �m teaching 12 grade students and i have difficulties in making them understand how to differentiate sentences or phrases that show expression of "blaming or accusing". Also those which show "permission or request". I have told them the definition but unfortunately some of them are still confused. Does anybody know how to explain about the determination between all those expression but off course in an easy way for my students to understand or any websites that provides the way to use those expression?

Please help me Cry
Thanks before God Bless U All...

10 Aug 2010      

Zora
Canada

Can you be more specific as to which expressions you are using? Maybe provide us with a list of the ones that you have seen in class??

10 Aug 2010     

whoami
Indonesia

Thanks for the reply.
Here are some expressions I mentioned in the class

Blaming/accusing:
- Are you saying I don �t know how to work a tractor?
- My tape is broken, and it �s all because of you.

I am still confused and can �t determine whether a sentence is actually about blaming or accusing.

My other problem is that IMO the difference between permission & request is very very vague.

Permission/request:
- Can I have your phone number so that I can talk to you if I need to know about anything else?
- Can I ask you to give me some idea of your prices?
- Can I have a look at some of the products you make?

Can anyone provide me with some criteria or checklist on how to differentiate this 4 expressions instead of just using �feelings �? Since my students are learning English as a Foreign Language and the whole concept is a bit difficult to understand.

Many thanks! Embarrassed

10 Aug 2010     

Zora
Canada

Ok, first things first...

Permission/request:
- Can I have your phone number so that I can talk to you if I need to know about anything else?
- Can I ask you to give me some idea of your prices?
- Can I have a look at some of the products you make?

All the above sentences are "polite" ways to ask for things and permission can be the same as request. A request is just asking for permission or for something "politely" and sometimes in a formal way.

Now...

My tape is broken, and it �s all because of you. - is definitely "blaming". You are pointing a finger at a person here for something and saying they did it... in other words, you are blaming them for something. The "it�s all because of you" is a typical sentence used to place blame on somebody.

Are you saying I don �t know how to work a tractor? - Is an accusing sentence. You are not blaming anybody here for something. You are just pointing out that the other person is saying or accusing you of not being able to do something.

Hope this helps,

Linda

10 Aug 2010     

whoami
Indonesia

Dear Linda
Thanks a lot for helping out. It �s really nice and clear explanation. Thumbs Up
However the problem is how to give my students a kind of list or anything about common expressions used to blame / accuse or to permit / request which can help them in order to know which is the correct expression used in the sentence.
For instant:
You mentioned the sentence "it �s because of you" is a typical sentence used to put blame on someone. Is there any sentences or phrases showing blame expressions instead of "it �s because of you"?

Once again thank you very much Linda. Smile

11 Aug 2010     

Zora
Canada

Let �s see more blaming expressions:

"You are to blame for..." // "It �s all your fault" // "This is your fault"

The 3 conditional can be used:

"If you hadn �t/had.... I wouldn �t/would have"  -  If you hadn �t shouted at the policeman, we wouldn�t have been arrested.  //   If you had listened to me, we would have found place...

And for requests:

Could you help me..... (please)?
May/Can I help you//speak to?
** A waiter/shop assisatant might use this:  May I suggest.... ?
Do you think that you will be able to ............ (on/by (a certain date) )
Are you sure that ............ ?
Would you be so inclined as to .... (very polite way of talking, not really used in everyday speech)

I am sure there are more but those are the ones I can think of of the top of my head.

11 Aug 2010     

whoami
Indonesia

Thank you so much, Linda. This is really really helpful. Can �t express my gratitude Handshake

11 Aug 2010