Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Would you help me with my proofreading, please?    

Would you help me with my proofreading, please?

elwirafinka
Poland

Would you help me with my proofreading, please?

Hello!

I am doing a proofreading at the moment and need help with a few issues, as I have been working since 8 o �clock today and my mind is not sure of anything anymore.

"Since 1900, United States changed between what historians call "public actions and private interests."" - I feel the comma is not needed here. What do you think?

"In another time, they become disillusioned with the social experiments and focus on themselves." - never heard of such a phrase. I would remove �at � leaving �another time � only. What �s your idea?

"At the beginning of the Great Depression, the pendulum swung again, and Roosevelt �s New Deal and Truman �s Fair Deal focuses on government actions to alleviate the social misery." - Any ideas about this one? I would remove all the commas and changes the word �focuses � into �focus �.

"Conservatism returned during 1950 under Eisenhower, to be followed by a shift in the direction of liberalism in the �new frontier� of Kennedy and Johnson �s �Great Society�." - Wouldn �t you add �s � to 1950 and have 1950s - this is what I feel with the word during. The New Frontier or New Frontier? I would also remove the quoting marks and write it in capital letters. The same with Great Society - no capitals.

"It reached a climax in the selection of Ronald Regan in 1990." - What about this? It �reached a climax � or it �reached climax � is enough here? �Selection � should be �election � obviously, but what about the phrase �in the election �? Shouldn �t it be �after the election �?

Thank you so much for all your answers and help.

All the best,

Finka

11 Aug 2010      

franknbea
United Kingdom

Hello Finka,

1- since 1900 the United States changed between what historians call "public actions and private interests."

2- At other times they become disillusioned with the social experiments and focus on themselves.

3-this one keeps jumping tenses;
try it like this...
At the beginning of the great depression the pendulum swung again. Roosevelt �s New Deal and Truman �s Fair Deal focused on government actions to alleviate the social misery.

4-I agree with you on this one.

5-It reached a climax or it climaxed with the election of Ronald Regan (one little detail, Regan was elected in 1980, not 1990)

I hope this will be of some help.

11 Aug 2010     

elwirafinka
Poland

Thanks a lot! I noticed some of the mistakes after I had sent them... I really need a huge mug of coffee or I will never finish this...

Thank you again for your help and the time you spent reading...

11 Aug 2010     

lshorton99
China

"Since 1900, the United States has changed between what historians call "public actions and private interests."�

"At that time, they became disillusioned with the social experiments and focus on themselves." (Without seeing the context for this sentence it�s hard to adequately correct it!)

"At the beginning of the Great Depression the pendulum swung again and Roosevelt �s New Deal and Truman �s Fair Deal focused on government actions alleviating the social misery."

"Conservatism returned during the 1950s under Eisenhower, to be followed by a shift in the direction of liberalism with the �New Frontier� of Kennedy and Johnson �s �Great Society�."

"It reached a climax with the election of Ronald Regan in 1980."

These would be my suggestions. Again - out of context it �s hard to judge things like tenses etc!

Lindsey

11 Aug 2010