Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What ´s wrong with the sentences?    

What ´s wrong with the sentences?

elwirafinka
Poland

What ´s wrong with the sentences?

Hi again!

The information of Malvarosa ´s death is really shocking! I cannot believe it and admire her daughter for being strong enough to write about it! Take good care of yourself and be strong! I recall myself facing my brother ´s death last year - nothing can ease the pain...

I am still proofreading some works and still some items  keep confusing me. Could you please help me again? The text is about single-issue groups.

1) "One reason for this recent change in national mood was increased single issue groups, ie groups of voters supporting or opposition candidates for the candidate�s position in one matter." - This sentence s really getting on my nerves! Maybe you will be open-minded enough to link the ideas there. My idea to do it is: One of the reasons for the recent change in the national mood was the increase in single-issue groups, ie. groups of voter supporting or opposing the candidates... But I have completely no idea what to do with the phrase: "for the candidate �s position in one matter." The sentence is too messy for me!

2) "They called to measures that would strengthen the traditional family and offset the high divorce rates and large number of births to unmarried mothers." - I would change the phrase "they called to measures" into "they called for measures". What do you think about it?

Thank you  for any suggestion. I am happy to have you here.

11 Aug 2010      

anitarobi
Croatia

Maybe this...
1) "One reason for this recent change in national mood was increased single-issue groups, ie groups of voters supporting or opposing the candidate�s positions on various matters."
2) "They called for measures that would strengthen the traditional family and offset the high divorce rates and the large number of births to unmarried mothers."
Although this phrase births to unmarried mothers seems awkward... perhaps there �s an actual social term used for these babies- maybe just writing single mothers would be enough(the large number of single mothers)...

11 Aug 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

I have no idea how my letters got so big because I don �t have the rich text editor. Sorry for taking up so much space...

11 Aug 2010     

lshorton99
China

I would mostly agree with anita �s changes with slight alterations:

1) "One reason for this recent change in national mood was an increase in single-issue groups: ie groups of voters supporting or opposing candidates due to the candidates � positions on specific issues."

2) "They called for measures that would strengthen the traditional family and offset the high divorce rate and large number of births to unmarried mothers." (I think that sounds fine - formal but appropriate for the context)

Lindsey

11 Aug 2010