Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Are these pictures available anywhere else but iClipart?    

Are these pictures available anywhere else but iClipart?

blunderbuster
Germany

Are these pictures available anywhere else but iClipart?

Hi,

There is this style of pictures.

I was wondering if they are available in any other places than iClipart or their affiliates?

Thanks.

13 Aug 2010      

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

they are available in various sites but they are not free you have to pay for them.

13 Aug 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Liz, the problem is that all sites that I know where they are available strictly forbid the redistribution of these pictures, irrespective of whether you have to pay for them or not.

Strictly speaking, if we cannot find a site where these pictures are available under the abovementioned conditions, all of the printables that use them should be edited or removed.

Let �s hope there is someone that can find such a site.

Regards

13 Aug 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

If you have paid for these pictures, why should you be obliged to update your ws(s)? Wss containing these pictures cannot be removed without proving that these images have been taken from a website...

Shall those users who have bought these pictures include a copy of their cash slip in their wss in order to avoid that some over-eager moderators delete them?? ;)

13 Aug 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

Actually, those sites state that if you �re paying to use them, you are also accepting their terms of use, which clearly states that those pictures cannot be redistributed in any form (which has raised problems for some users, I can �t seem to remember who was it that mentioned already having received an e-mail from iclipart.com). And like Blunderbuster mentioned, they can �t seem to be found anywhere but iclipart.com.

Basicly it means that if you bought them, you are clearly aware of the terms of use. And uploading them in editable .doc files is a way of redistributing them, so they seem to believe.

I �m pretty sure moderators can �t report wss with those clipart (unless if watermarked) under any of the rules of the website.

The problem is: I know that Victor has received an e-mail or something, and maybe other users too. But I also don �t know what he intends to do about it. Because those pictures are not allowed to be used in ESLprintables.com, so their owners stated.

I like those pics so much that I thought about purchasing them, but when I read the terms, I gave up. Wouldn �t be able to upload the printables I made.

13 Aug 2010     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

topolina, what she means is that when u buy those clips you can �t redistribute them, when we upload a ws here with those clips we are giving them to people who haven �t pay for them thus breaking the agreement with the seller.

13 Aug 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Aaaaah, now I get it!! Embarrassed Sorry for being so stupid... LOL Thanks, Liz and Bruna, for clarifying it for me!

It really is a pity that we will probably have to remove all wss containing those pictures. :(( Doesn �t Katiana use them a lot, too?

Oh dear, what bad news!! Disapprove

13 Aug 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Nope, Katiana has her own clipart collection, same as me ;o)

Fact is that all these pictures that have that style (a trained eye can tell rather quickly) have been used illegally, providing we can�t find a source that legally distributes them under different conditions.

The people who use Philip Martin images should also make sure they have the copyright info on the ws itself, not just the ws description....have one of those coming and have seen ws without that copyright info. ;o)

Regards

13 Aug 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

Sorry for the question, but... How can one have their own clipart collection?  drawing by themselves, you mean?
I once read Katiana �saying � that she purchases her clipart from 2 websites (back in the Turkish publisher drama), can �t remember if she mentioned the websites, though. So, what I mean is, unless the websites or CDs bought clearly state that the clipart can be used for uploading in personal blogs or sharing websites, like this one, we �re not in the clear zone. As iclipart replied me, their art can �t be digitally offered to other people. Therefore, their buyers do not own what they bought.

That �s the reason now I only go for the PUBLIC DOMAIN clipart.

EDIT: regarding Phillip Martin, he has replied me saying that his art can be used indiscriminately for non-commercial purposes, provided that it contains his signature, which is now included in his clipart. Basically it means that you can use if you do not delete that part with PHILLIP MARTIN.

13 Aug 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Well, I have a CD, actually more than a dozen of them, that also offer(s) web animations....so, I am good to go. Katiana seems to be buying the same graphics from different prublishers then. 

13 Aug 2010     

pilarmham
Spain

Manonski (f) could tell us more about iclipart. I changed all my worksheets after reading her post about the problems she �d had (I love those images, too, and had paid a subscription). This is what she said:

"All I can tell you is.. be careful even if you pay for your cliparts. I paid a membership to iclipart.com and uploaded vocabulary printables in the last year. Last week, Victor and I both received an email from them. They said I was violating their terms of use because I was redistributing pictures.

I �ve spent many hours this week trying to find public domain pictures and updating my own printables because I did not want to cause Victor and this site legal troubles.

Even if you pay, and your picture don �t have watermarks, it does not mean you are in the clear."

13 Aug 2010     

1    2    Next >