Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > "it īs me" or "it īs i"    

"it īs me" or "it īs i"

hiba373
Palestine

"it īs me" or "it īs i"

hello!
can you help me answering this qustion(which is more correct "it īs me" or "it īs i"?and why?

15 Aug 2010      

youness
Jordan

welcome heba, i think it īs i is more correct because I here comes as a subject by the way you can say
It īs I who break the window?

Who breaks the window?

I break the window.

God knows better.

15 Aug 2010     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

this is a case of a nominative predicate. so you have to use a subject pronoun  so  it is i is the only correct form and not the more correct.... it is me is completly incorrect

Pronouns in the Predicate Nominative

In standard written English, the personal pronouns in the predicate nominative are the same as they would be in the subject.

The nominative case follows a linking verb to rename the subject.

Incorrect: The winner was her. (Objective case)

Correct: The winner was she. (Nominative case)

She is a predicate nominative. It uses the same case as the subject since it simply renames the subject.

Even though we may often say, "Itīs me" the grammatically correct way is "Itīs I."

15 Aug 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

In traditional grammar, �it is I � is considered to be the īcorrect � version since you would need a subject complement after the verb īto be � (the linking verb) BUT �it īs me � is also considered to be grammatically acceptable nowadays (see Swan, for example) and, in fact, you īre far more likely to hear this construction spoken than the more formal (and rather more pompous-sounding) īit is I �.

15 Aug 2010     

joy2bill
Australia

Sorry but you just won īt hear "It īs I" in Australia....... far too stuffy and toffee-nosed..correct though it might be!

15 Aug 2010