Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Can you help me?    

Can you help me?

Flora1
Brazil

Can you help me?

Name 3 things  a teacher can do to make a reading text easier for the students:

I am reading about it to answer but I decided to ask your help too, of course if you  don�t care. Hugs!

15 Aug 2010      

anitarobi
Croatia

1. pre-teach key words
2. let the sts read paragraph per paragraph with a discussion in between
3. have sts read in pairs using a dictionary
4. first suppy the summary and do the discussion, then have them read the original
5. use illustrations or photos or any sort of visual aid instead of translating

15 Aug 2010     

kamaelamini
Tunisia

1-sensitize the pupils about the topic you are going to teach.During this stage pre-teach them the useful vocabulary.
2-Draw their attention at the title or choose in advance a  sentence or even a phrase from the text and let them guess what the text may be about
3- Ask them to read the text to check their guessing if they are true / false/not far away

you can find as many possibilities as you can when you try and retry with your students

15 Aug 2010     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Have a look here http://busyteacher.org/2748-what-to-do-with-reading-texts-10-creative-ways.html
SophiaSmile

15 Aug 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

I knew we had a great ws about something like this, it just took a while to find the link - http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=382739#thetop!!! Fantastic collection of ideas!

15 Aug 2010     

uyumlu
Turkey

you can use some activities for example a story ball to make the vocabulary familiar
I stick the text on a ball then the ball turns around the students each student say one word fastly without reading. Then we try to guess the subject of the text

Or you can use pictures
Or you can cut the paragraphs of the text and make students to put them in an order in groups

15 Aug 2010     

fifey
United Kingdom

Make it fun, but teach them the vocabulary first. You could attempt to record the story on CD. The learners may benefit from making it a listening task too. You could make flashcards for the vocabulary, or use a new technique i have only tried once. If the learners have free text messages on their mobiles, ask them to text a word to each other. They love this, it �s interactive, and it �s fun. 

15 Aug 2010     

uyumlu
Turkey

you can use some activities for example a story ball to make the vocabulary familiar
I stick the text on a ball then the ball turns around the students each student say one word fastly without reading. Then we try to guess the subject of the text

Or you can use pictures
Or you can cut the paragraphs of the text and make students to put them in an order in groups

15 Aug 2010     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Anita, thanks for the link. Smile
Sophia

15 Aug 2010     

Flora1
Brazil

WinkWinkWink great!!!

16 Aug 2010