Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > translation help    

translation help

uyumlu
Turkey

translation help

Unlike the unnoticeable transition at MAGIC, this one had a wallop Trust Tony to cheap

can you help me to understand the sentence above?

Thanks in regards

15 Aug 2010      

uyumlu
Turkey

and one more question :)
 I tried valiantly to keep my eyes from crossing.

Is it an idiomatic expression?

I hope I �ll get an answer for these
thanks

15 Aug 2010     

SueThom
United States

I �ll try to give you a little info, but hope that someone else will be able to do better, especially if you can give a little more context.

To wallop someone (verb) is to hit them hard and a wallop (noun)* is a hard hit, so I �d guess in the first one the author is saying whatever change (transition) was made had a significant impact. It was quite noticeable.

"Trust Tony to cheap" doesn �t sound like a complete sentence to me because cheap in the US is normally used as an adjective. However, if that�s the full sentence, cheap may be being used as a verb in a manner that is figurative and/or jargon in another country or a particular subculture.

When you cross your eyes, you bring both your pupils as close as you can to your nose, which causes you to see double.  If you �re really sleepy or bored, your eyes may start to cross--the expression is used both figuratively and literally. Also, looking at a really intricate design, extensive or complex mathematical formulas, or something similarly detailed and confusing can be said to make your eyes cross.  Consequently, it sounds like the author was struggling to pay attention or to follow a difficult train of thought or explanation, trying to understand complex information, looking at a complicated design, or something similar. 

Hope that �s of some help, but am looking forward to seeing how others respond to your request.

Sue

*He walloped his son for stealing from the store. (i.e. spanked him soundly/hard)
She gave the intruder a wallop with the frying pan.

15 Aug 2010     

uyumlu
Turkey

thanks for your help
I forgot to write for the first sentence

it �s Trust Tony to cheap out

15 Aug 2010     

SueThom
United States

No problem.

"Cheap out" makes a little more sense to me, although it �s not a phrase with which I �m familiar. I did run it up in a corpus of US English (www.americancorpus.org) and there were almost a dozen entries. It looks like it means the author/speaker thinks someone didn �t do a good job of something---they didn �t put the money (or time or effort?) into doing something that should have been done better.

Oh, and I didn�t mention it in the last post, but do you understand what "Trust Tony to..." means?  It�s a way of saying that a particular behavior is typical of a person.  In this case it probably means that Tony usually does a halfway job (not very good; doesn�t take care of the important details; doesn�t spend the time or effort to do really good work).

16 Aug 2010