Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Solar System    

Solar System

Baby V
Brazil

Solar System

Dear Friends,

I �m about to teach the solar system to my kids at schoo.  They are about 9 years old and I would like your help on this task. Can anyone give some ideas on how to introduce this topic on a very interesting way? I �m running out of ideas.

Thanks a lot
Hugs from Brazil
Baby V

15 Aug 2010      

Mallerenga
Spain

Some years ago I had to teach the solar system and we created it with balloons and craft paper. We had groups and each one had to find some information about size, colour, position,... and then we put in hanging from the ceiling. They really learnt a lot and they loved it.

15 Aug 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

Wonderful topic, Baby. Well, having a model of it would certainly help, or a ppt or watch a video if you can and have them make a model, and you might get some ideas from this...

15 Aug 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

Mallerenga, wonderful idea - using balloons! And above their heads - they can gaze at it as if at the sky.... that �s great!

15 Aug 2010     

Baby V
Brazil

Thanks a lot to all of you,

Anita, wonderful sites.

Hugs from Brazil
Baby V

15 Aug 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

I have never covered this topic, and I had a blast looking for these links (I love Magic School Bus, btw), and since I �m going back to work this fall after maternity leave, this is wonderfully inspiring. If you make some wss or ppt about this, do pm me, pls. I �d love to use it, and don �t have a lot of time for making wss with the baby now. Sorry to be begging, but I �d really be grateful!
Anita

15 Aug 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Check your pm
Linda

15 Aug 2010     

Pinky Makus
Canada

I can send you a few things....but some of it is a little out of date.  Let me know if you need help.

Pinky

15 Aug 2010     

Pinky Makus
Canada

An earlier post of mine:

Worksheets from here:

15 Aug 2010     

mblucc
Argentina

Uhmmm.... when I tought  this topic to my students, I had  made a big sketch with funny pictures of the solar system. 

They loved  the pictures of the solar system! 
You can use wonderful cliparts of the Phillip Martin web page. 

Later we played a memory game using small flashcards of the topic, and we did  a crosswords puzzle with words related to the solar system. 

If you need help, please send me a PM, and I  will send you the material I have. 

Have a nice weekend! 

16 Aug 2010     

douglas
United States

I don �t know how many students you have, but you could try this:

1. Take them outside or into the gym.

2. Assign each child a role (sun, mercury, venus, etc).

3. Start with the sun and have him/her stand in the middle and tell him/her they are the sun they have to shine and give their warmth to the rest of the solar system.

4. Next have mercury start slowly walking in a circle around the sun.  Tell them they are mercury they are small and hot, etc.

5. Continue building your solar system each in a wider orbit around the sun.

6.  After the kids have had enough fun (or the planets fall into chaos) bring them back into the room and start drawing the solar sytem on the board according to the children �s answers to your questions: "Who was the sun?" "Where does he belong?" "Who is small and hot?", etc.

NOTE: It �s okay if it turns into chaos in the end--the kids should be having fun.  If it stays too orderly start adding things like the moon (runs around the earth as the earth walks around the sun) or comets or asteroids (the asteroid belt is a good place to bring in a group of students if you have too many with no tasks)

Ground Rule: Have fun!

<<Please PM me if you do try this I would like to hear how it turns out.>>
Douglas

16 Aug 2010