Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Seeking help again    

Seeking help again

ksena
Spain

Also you may create a fairy tale or kind of scenerio ... Once upon a time there lived a teddy bear and he is ... and he likes... But I think it would be more suitable for further topics. Oh, I remember when I was teaching small kids I was inventing different stories with a toy and children were so attentive and curious what woud happen next.
So, advise is for kids the whole class should be a scenerio, a plotted story within which you introduce voc, grammar and etc.
Good luck

16 Aug 2010     

s.lefevre
Brazil

You could ask the children if they already speak English. Of course, they will answer : NO.  Then you  show them flashcards with English vocabulary used in your country. I �m thinking about hamburger, hot dog, and so on and you ask them What �s this? They will answer and you broke the ice.

16 Aug 2010     

stexstme
France

Hi Liz,
I do not teach this age, but for my Special Needs I often ..need(!) the material Primary teachers use...Could this site be useful ?
You �ll find nice activities there - I hope..Big smile
Have a nice day,
Sylvie

16 Aug 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Hi Liz,
these I find useful ...
Have a good beginning !

16 Aug 2010     

yetigumboots
Germany

Try www.supersimplesongs.com for fantastic songs and you can watch the videos to see how to do it.
Hugs Yeti x

16 Aug 2010     

juliag
Japan

My dear Liz so happy to be able to maybe help you for a change!
Agree with all of the above but some things me and the little ones like to do.

- get hold of or make a fake microphone and use it at the start of every class to ask the how are yous, and at selected other times, too - they really love it for some reason.

- create a class routine so they always feel secure and comfortable with the stages of the lesson. For example, I start singing a hello song, then do the how are yous with mike, then sing a months song and do the calendar, then do some kind of personal info (name, age etc.), then phonics and then the themed activity. Finish off with the goodybye song, thank yous, and see you next week

- they love variety so do one activity sitting down, the next standing up, or if you �re going to still be sitting down just change to a different corner of the room etc.

- use your voice to pull them in - whisper like what you are saying is really magic and special and they will feel like it is even if it �s actually pretty ordinary

- use realia whenever possible to capture their imaginations and draw them in - this can include puppets (my kids love the puppet in a trash can I use to bang on the lid and jump out when I need to introduce a grammar point) but doesn �t have to

- as someone else said if they seem restless do a series of stand up, do ten jumps, 3 spins, 1 spin jump, sit down, stand up, clap your hands, sit down etc. - this will help to focus them and get rid of excess energy

- I was terrified when I started teaching this age group but now I LOVE them, so just try a few different things to get the feel of what they like  and you also enjoy and I �m sure you �ll have a wonderful time.

Just realized these are all rather general so ideas for your first class:

- as others have said start with names - basic English that they may already be comfortable with and will help you get a grasp on their names. I would sit in a circle on the floor but you don �t have to. Make it as physical as possible by shaking their hands or giving them hi-fives. I like the idea of name tags too - very useful when you want to pull that kid who is staring into space in - if they can get them to write them and let them decorate, if not you write them - will give you another chance to ask their name and practice the language. (if you are short of time/money for supplies piece of brown masking tape works wonders as a name tag, too). If this language needs more pratice have them walk around the room as  you play music. When music stops make pairs and do the dialogue. If possible use and English children �s song - for example the alphabet song that you will get them to sing later on and so on

- Definitely sort the classroom rules at this stage and I think native language probably needs to be used. They need to know the boundaries and also that the classroom is a safe place in which they feel they know 1) where the line that they can �t cross is and 2) that their rights etc. will be respected

- start with something you think they will feel comfortable with, I often go the numbers route (or alpha or colors). If numbers, for example, see which they know using fingers or flashcards. do a rocket jump - all crouch on floor holding hands and count to specified number as shake hands and catch their eyes and try to create general excitement. On the specified number all jump in the air like a rocket launch. Call a number and they have to take the number of beads/small balls/stones you say and then add together etc. Play music, stop it, say a number and they have to get in groups of that size. Do the seven step song. very simple: 1234567, 1234567, 123, 123, 1234567 - when they can do it add jump on 3, touch floor on 5 and stretch on 7 etc. Do more TPR (total physical response) - 7 jumps, 3 spins, 4 claps etc.

- I would also do a little alphabet - prob, just sitting in a circle and singing the alphabet song as you do clapping game (simple clap, then touch hands either side and then repeat. I usually teach this saying clap, touch hands and so on first and then add the song in, they will pick it up after a few times).

- I think that will take you pretty much to the end of your 30 minutes but if you need it colors is always a good and fun topic. Teach them with flashcards and they play colors - you pull a mystery color FC out of the bag and they have to find something that color and touch it and say the word.

Well, just a few ideas for you to be going on with. Hope some of them at least are of help.

HAVE FUN AND THEY WILL TOO AND LEARN IN THE PROCESS.
Julia

16 Aug 2010     

Aleftina
Ukraine

Hi!
You �ve already had a lot of ideas so only put some useful sites:
http://www.tlsbooks.com/ -on this site you can type in the words you would like your child to practice and print

if you have PC at your class you can use these:

16 Aug 2010     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

wow!!! i am so happy with all your ideas i dont know how to even start thanking you lol.  the sites are great thks for that. well tomorrow is my first day so let �s see how it goes....Wacko

16 Aug 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

Oh Liz, you �ll love them once you get the hang of them - they �re adorable and gratifying to work with, you actually play English with them... So much honest feedback!!! Do let us know how your first day goes... If you have any questions, feel free to pm if you wish! Mind you, they are difficult at first, because their world is completely different from the classical teaching situation, but once you start enjoying the role-playing, rhymes, songs, games, no classical classrooms... it �s a blast!

16 Aug 2010     

Cartuxa
Portugal

Hi Liz, just wanted to wish you a fantastic 1st day, I �m sure they �ll love your classes and that �s just because you care about how they feel (and I think that �s a basic / fundamental  skill  for teachers. ) I also work with little ones and I love the crafts and ideas  from this site: www.kizclub.com 
A big hug from hot (burning...) Portugal

17 Aug 2010     

< Previous   1    2