Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > How common is "thrice"?    

How common is "thrice"?

blunderbuster
Germany

How common is "thrice"?

Hi and special greetings to Brazil (a different country tomorrow ;o),

I �ve come across a resource that lists "thrice" as a viable alternative for "three times."

Many years ago I was told that this did exist once, around Shakespeare �s time. Has it become revived? Is this really used? Lived in an English-speaking country for three years, never heard it used. Wrong country, maybe?!

Regards

16 Aug 2010      

franknbea
United Kingdom

Hi BB,
It is used but it isn �t very common.
A typical usage would be in giving a reprimand, "I told you once, twice, thrice"
It �s a good job the Commodores never used it  "Thrice a lady" just doesn �t sound right does it?

16 Aug 2010     

lshorton99
China

I would consider myself both loquacious and verbose but I don �t recall using �thrice � except when exaggerating something - for dramatic effect. So you are entirely correct in that it is not used and your resource is correct in that it can be used. Chalk it up to another example of �correct � English versus common usage!

Lindsey

16 Aug 2010     

sulekra
Australia

Well I �ve seen the band play live a couple of times, but I �d never use the word in any other way hehe ;)

16 Aug 2010     

franknbea
United Kingdom

Dear Lindsey,
Thank you for your demonstration of loquaciousness and verbosity, but does your exception not mean that you have used the word?
I apologize for being pedantic but a rare use even for dramatic effect is use.
Question: How common is thrice?
Answer: Not common
Question: Is it even used?
Answer: Yes it is.
Wink (oh good, now that this is finished I can put my dictionary back under the chair leg, eh! eh! eh!)

16 Aug 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

I would agree with Lindsey here: �thrice � is nice when you want to play with the language (echoing biblical language or some of the more wordy Victorian poets, for example). Then again, I was recently contacted by a young relative who, we �ve just worked out, is a cousin �thrice removed � (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cousin for a �breakdown � - I use this word advisedly: look at the �cousin chart �) and, as far as I know, this is still considered an official term.

I �m off for a brace of �canyas �. 

Alex

16 Aug 2010     

libertybelle
United States

It was probably used a long time ago - but language evolves and some words move along and others are left behind. Thrice is hardly ever used, orally today. It �s a leftover from days gone past.  Probably used in poetry once in a while.
L

16 Aug 2010     

franknbea
United Kingdom

Hello there Alex,
But doesn �t your explanation also demonstrate usage?
I know I �m beating this into the ground, and I was really just having a giggle, but if you folks are saying that the word is NOT used and then follow it up with a demonstration of its use, this is turning out to be a bigger giggle than I expected.
I maintain;
Question: Is thrice common?
Answer: No, it is not.
Question: Is thrice used?
Answer: Yes, by Lindsey for dramatic effect and by Alex �s relative to ascertain kinship.
Geek I �ll stop now before you guys start chucking beer cans at me...
Ps LibertyBelle sorry, our posts must have crossed. And once again an opinion of usage, "hardly ever" is usage and "sometimes in poetry" is usage.
Regina, I appeal to your sense of fair play...
Common- Yes/No
Used-Yes/No

Be the judge.....................Ying Yang

16 Aug 2010     

lshorton99
China

franknbea - Firstly you made me giggle!

I will admit, I should have verbalised with greater clarity. �Twas not my intention to mislead.

My exception does indeed mean that I have finagled to use �thrice � in speech. Sadly, I cannot recollect the precise instances. Therefore, I made the calamitous faux pas of disseminating with the sweeping statement �dramatic effect �.

I humbly beg pardon for my oversight and solemnly swear not to repeat my lapse in judgement.

Lindsey

16 Aug 2010     

franknbea
United Kingdom

In that case Lindsey...
I defer to the lady with the rather large looking sword on her shoulder....
Thrice Definitely Not Used

Bye Nowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

16 Aug 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Och, what a tangled web we weave...

16 Aug 2010     

1    2    Next >