Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Films or sitcoms    

Films or sitcoms

Urpi
Peru

Films or sitcoms

Good evening:
I need some suggestions I have to talk about tipping and bargaining, is there a sitcom or film where I can find an example of those activities?

The other topic is beauty. It �s about what people do to become prettier.
I have thought about Miss Congeniality.
All suggestions are welcome.
Thanks a bunch.

17 Aug 2010      

franknbea
United Kingdom

Hi Urpi,
Almost every episode of "Only fools and horses" has the elements you �re looking for.
You can probably get them on youtube.

Good luck

17 Aug 2010     

douglas
United States

There �s a good scene in the Monty Python �s film "The Life of Brian" were they "haggle" over the purchase of a fake beard.  "I don �t want to haggle, I just want to buy the beard."  It#s quite funny.

17 Aug 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

Sorry, is Miss Sympathy the Sandra Bullock movie? It �s actually Miss Congeniality http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0212346/ , if that �s the one you �re refering to. In Croatian we say simpatija for somebody you like and simpatičan for likeable and nice, but in English sympathy means compassion, esp when sb dies. I �m not trying to be rude or anything, just hoping I guesses the mistake right, since it �s common for speakers from my country as well. I hope you don �t mind. If I �ve completely missed what you mean, do forgive me.

Tootsie also has some great parts about makeovers with Dustin Hoffman turning into a woman, and there �s that 80s movie with Goldie Hawn- Death Becomes Her http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104070/....

In Mummy 1 there are a couple of scenes about bargaining as well - when Evelyn bargains with the prison guard for Rick �s life, and later on when Jonathan and Rick talk about exchanging her for a couple of camels. Frank and Douglas are completely right with their examples as well.  

17 Aug 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

Hello.. I �m not sure this is what you are long for but it is funny as hell. I think everyone will get a kick out of it.Ed

17 Aug 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

Oh, Ed, I love this one...Big smile

17 Aug 2010     

douglas
United States

Funny clip Ed, thanks!

17 Aug 2010