Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Hi help me    

Hi help me

napster
Costa Rica

Hi help me

hi guys, I want to ask you two questions ? 1.how important is the written skill? 2.what is most important between structure and vocabulary?

17 Aug 2010      

ELOJOLIE274
France

Hi,
in France we say the 5 skills are equally important! obviously the speaking skill is easier for younger pupils, so we should put the emphasis on it when our pupils are very young - especially if they �re not yet able to read and write in their native language! but when they have mastered reading and writing in their native tongue, you can start teaching writing and reading!
as for the difference btw structure and vocabulary, I think both are equally important. you cannot speak or write if you don �t master the structure of the sentence - and yet you cannot express yourself or understand others (or a text) if your vocabulary is too poor...
have a nice day!
Elodie

17 Aug 2010     

lshorton99
China

Hi

Firstly, I think my favourite skill to teach is writing (closely followed by speaking - I �m all about producing!). As to how important it is, that �s a similar question to �how long is a piece of string? �!

It really depends on the group of learners. If you are teaching students who want English for holidays then I would prioritise writing lower than listening and speaking. If, on the other hand, you are preparing students for an exam then obviously writing is going to be more important when it plays a part in the students � final mark. When teaching, one of the first things we are taught is that you have to cater to the learners. What do they need? What is their preferred style of learning. Just as every individual is different, so is every student. As far as is possible, you have to take that into account.

That being said, if we are talking about general English (for example, the majority of my EFL students over the past few years have been teenagers form 13-16, beginner-upper intermediate) then I believe writing is one of the four core skills that should be taught. Reading, writing, listening and speaking should be given equal weighting. I tend to focus more on writing and speaking because they are, to a certain extent, easier to quantify. I encourage students to spend more time outside class reading and listening. I dislike a focus on grammar but accept it as part of the system I work in.

In terms of which is more important between vocabulary and structure - again, it �s an impossible question. Vocabulary is fantastic, but if you can �t use it in a sentence it becomes meaningless. Structure without vocabulary, again, has no meaning.

A very simple example would be with the modal verb �can �.

�I can play the piano. �

Student A has mastered vocabulary but not structure. They can say �piano � but have no way of communicating that they have the ability to play it.

Student B has mastered structures but not vocabulary. They know that the modal verb �can � is followed by a bare infinitive but don �t have the vocabulary to communicate what they are able to do.

I know it �s an exaggerated example but I hope you understand what I mean!

Lindsey

17 Aug 2010